or Connect

Posts by MamaEli

We are one family that did get kicked out of our pediatrician of 8 years because of this. Through word of mouth, we have been able to find a new dr. who would love for us to vax, but also respects my decision as a parent to not vax.  She sees this as a medical rights issue, and knows that all children need care. We live in a fairly large metropolitan area with many "progressive" families. I only know of two or three practices that will accept un-vaxed or selectively vaxd...
We stopped vaccinating in 2007/2008. Yesterday, DS, age 8, stepped on a big rusty spike that was in the ground, originally used to tie a dog leash onto a few years back. It was a good, deep puncture right where his big toe joins the foot. Bled a fair amount, and I decided this was one worthy of professional care. I took him to the Urgent Care five minutes from the house and we were seen within the half hour. I told the nurse that we might need the tetanus immounoglobulin...
I just wanted to update:   Today we saw Dr. Patel with North Wake Pediatrics.  She was wonderful and really puts the child first. She talked a lot to my son, made sure he knew the things he needed to be safe playing sports (we were there for a sports physical) and just really seemed interested in who he was, not just in getting the appointment done. She is pro-vaccine, but does not turn non-vaxers away. She was recommended to me by another natural mama, and I think...
I, unfortunatly, just had to defend my decision to not vaccinate at the doctor's office yesterday. We are currently attending a Baptist church, and the PNP "informed" us that is was not against Baptist beliefs to vaccinate. I replied that specifically, since the MMR was originally developed from an aborted fetus, I wanted no part of such a thing. She tried to wave it off as being "over forty years ago" but I simply said that it still mattered to me. So, I'm not lying...
Thanks for the replies. I've heard others who really like Capitol Peds in Knightdale, too, so I'll stop by and check them out while I go next door and pick up my new contacts next week. I'm still really just shaking my head. We've liked almost all of the drs we have ever seen there, and I signed a waiver a long time ago. It's less than 5 min from our house--but so is Capitol Peds, too. Anyway, it's true that we don't see any dr very often--maybe three or four visits a...
We like Kure Beach. But really, we went to Myrtle in SC for the first time last summer, and it is a gorgeous place. Perfect beach, perfect water. It is very commercial, so you have to zone all that out. We also have spent time at Wrightsville Beach (OK) and rented a place at Kitty Hawk last Memorial Day. Kitty Hawk is very pebbley, so it you're looking for great swimming that's not it. However, we had fun at the Wright Brothers memorial there, stopped in Roanoake for...
I just came from our current pediatrician and am fuming!  We have been with Growing Child Pediatrics for almost eight years and now we have to leave. They just changed their policy and WILL NO LONGER BE TREATING PATIENTS WHO ARE NOT FULLY VACCINATED.   I just can't believe it. They have given us 30 days to "get caught up" or find a new practice.  And then the nurse practitioner I saw questioned my religious exemption for school, asking what religion I was, (rather...
As far as vaccines, we also do not vax. I don't know what the school will say (I was waiting to cross that bridge when we got to it.) Regarding cars, there are quite a few used cars around, and there is actually a publication for embassy workers where they have a classifieds. (I ran across that as part of my research.)  I believe you may also be able to get a car loan through the embassy in a program they have just for them.   Kenyans are very social!!  But there are...
GMiller--You will probably love WNS and the Nairobi area in general. Good luck on your fundraising--that is the only reason we are in the US and not there. You can PM me and I can get you in touch with several teachers who are there right now. You will have tons of fun at PFO in July, it is exhausting but you will form a great understanding of TCKs and build relationships with your team and others who will teach internationally.   To both posters, you are in very...
Two tacos? Totally normal at our house! DS (7) goes through stages where he will eat one egg, half a sandwich, and a banana ALL DAY.....then, we have days like today where he gobbled down over half (six pieces) of a medium pizza for lunch. He's probably getting ready to grow--start putting away money now for new shoes and pants!