or Connect

Posts by Dandelionkid

Never thought I'd use those words in relation to my kids but I'm coming to the realization that, in my attempt to securely attach, I have fostered a neediness that is unhealthy. . My Oldest dd can never have enough of me. Doesn't matter if I spend an hr at bedtime with her, or take her out for special time, nothing's ever enough. Her common phrases are " I feel like I never get enough cuddles" " I feel like you never spend any time with me" yesterday after her staying...
Wanted objective advice:) My four yr old girl and 3 yr old cousin are babysat regularly together by myself or my sister. It's a good arrangement and the kids ( normally) love each other so I dont want to stop doing it. Everytime they are together lately my four ye old gets scratched during disagreements. Last time it was about a friend they mutually know. My dd said "this friend is my friend- you dont know her" of course causing hurt feelings in 3 yr old and escalating...
I know where you are coming from thefourofus. I try to allow my 5 yr old his emotions but it does feel wrong to allow him to lose control of his tongue and be insulting and kick at toys. This behavior is disrespectful not only to me but the other kids who must feel worried and a little unsafe around all that emotion. Last night when he had a tantrum I endured it until he yelled he hated me and started kicking toys. This has become my persona boundary and I told hi, he...
Yeah I know- she has a pattern of enabling. One thing I do know is he won't be staying here past Saturday. There is a restraining order against him by his wife and she is coming for a visit after him. I am pretty angry that he is coming over. He will either be going through withdrawal or seeking his old contacts for drugs. He won't go into withdrawal voluntarily (and why would I want that around my kids anyway??) so he will go find his old contacts to prevent that from...
Thanks for the response. Strange sometimes how the right decision is so clear but so clouded. I  called an addictions counselor to get further feedback and she was agreeing with my concerns. We are going to camp out at our unfinished house for a few days. The kids are going to love it :) Thanks again for taking time to respond. It helps makes things clear. It's hard because I know the good side of my brother but an active addict is a whole different person.
We live with my parents while our house is being built. My mom invited my brother to come stay  for a few days because he is going through a rough time. He recently became estranged from his kids and wife after apparently assaulting his wife. Restraining order against him.  He is adopted and has FAE  (the more functional FAS) and has always struggled with addictions. Currently using alcohol although denies hes had cocaine for a month.   My mom is more concerned with...
No judgement for not being the non-custodial parent from me (at all!) but would like to know how you rationalized moving so far from them?  How come your husbands family gets to have you close by and not your kids?  
My kids broke a violin yesterday, shattered a glass pitcher and did lots of whining etc but... my dd8 gave me a hug after the glass broke and grabbed the vacuum cleaner right away. My ds who dropped it gave me a heartfelt apology (they were goofing off) and during the evening was making sure his younger sister had everything she asked me for (he poured her milk, put her clothes in the laundry for her etc) without being asked) I love how thoughtful my kids usually are....
My 5 (almost 6 yr old) son had issues like your dd. He also was a late potty-trainer. Didn't stop wearing diapers till he was four and 3 months. I also had to be right beside him at gymnastics class (his only activity outside the house) . He gradually warmed up (after two months of being glued to his side) and let me sit farther away but I was definitely the only mom down on the mat with him. I felt like the other moms were always judging me for being to soft with him...