or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by mommak1

Let me start with a disclaimer and apology that although I'm not at all opposed to natural alternatives, I don't know much and am pretty mainstream when it comes to health care. I hope you will forgive me and help me out anyway. Here's my little emergency situation. I have a prolapsed uterus. For those unfamiliar, it means that my uterus has dropped and in my case sits extremely low in my vagina, not quite protruding from my body, but almost. Sounds fun, right? I'm...
I went to a practice with 3 OBs and their policy is that you rotate and see all of them during pregnancy. They rotate hospital duty, so delivery is handled by whomever is on hospital duty that day.
My OB really didn't want me to go past 41 days. My personal comfort level would have been about 10 days, and I did not feel strongly enough about it to fight over a few days. I was induced at 40 weeks 6 days and had a successful VBAC. I probably would have put up a fight for a few more days if they were saying they'd have to do a c/s at 41 weeks. So I guess my answer to your question depends on what are your options if you hit 41 weeks without going into labor. Will...
I was a month away from 36 with mine.
You know, I went through the same fear when my OB mentioned that we would "discuss options" after the ultrasound - I was in a similar situation of earlier ultrasunds predicting a big baby, so as we got closer, I really worried that my OBs (practice of 3 doctors) who had been so supportive of VBAC were going to start pushing me to do a repeat c-section. I wasn't even aware at that point that they were willing to induce for VBAC, so when she said "options" I assumed she...
I did not see much about stripping membranes or foley catheter specifically with VBAC. The main thing I came across was dramatically increased risks with VBAC when prostaglandins are used. I was induced for my VBAC with only pitocin. With my first (the c-section), I had a foley catheter and pitocin. That induction was moving along quite well, but I ended up with a prolapsed cord and c-section. Progress with labor/dilation was quite a bit slower with my second induction...
I'm not in that situation, but I'll share with you the same approach that my OB used when she and I first started talking VBAC. She doesn't really push anyone not to do it if it's just an issue of it might not be successful - her approach is that it's not really her call because everyone has different priorities. If, for example, statistics indicated that someone's circumstances from their previous birth indicated that they had a 25% chance of successful VBAC, for one...
Just as an update, I did end up being induced at 41 weeks...it wasn't so much the baby's size that made me uncomfortable with waiting longer than that...my comfort level (as far as risks - I don't mean my physical comfort) in any case is about 10 days past due, and I didn't feel strongly enough to argue over a few days, so I agreed to the pitocin induction at 41 weeks. I did a lot of reading and felt ok with the induction - I knew I was going to be closely monitored...
I don't know anyone personally who had UR (but also don't know very many women who have even attempted VBAC)...and just one online acquaintance who had UR, but she and baby were both fine. Like others have said, once I did all the reading, I actually felt like VBAC was a safer option than repeat c-section. No birth is without risks - ultimiately you just have to do your homework so that you can make an informed decision about what's the best option for you.
Can anyone give me some idea of what to expect from therapy as far as what they do (or have me do)?
New Posts  All Forums: