or Connect

Posts by AstridS

I worry that a leash might give the child a false sense of security. I always keep an eye on my kids, but I also teach them to keep an eye on me. Being on a leash would be teaching them that it's safe for them to bolt or just go in any direction and rely on me to pull them back or redirect them. I really don't want to do that. I also think using a leash is lazy parenting sometimes. Either keep your eyes on your kid, or stay in places where your kid will be safe. Of...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lit Chick By the time I had the baby, I was ready. I was prepared. I was NOT afraid of the pain.... and thus it did not really "hurt". It's not that there was no pain... but the sensations were never scary, never a "make it stop!" feeling. This is SO true! I read an article a few days ago, about the difference between feeling pain and suffering. And while there was plenty of pain at my homebirth, I never...
Children do as we do, not as we say. So... I don't think you can teach a child not to be violent, by being violent.
Quote: Originally Posted by annettemarie Absolutely. Getting drunk, of course, isn't OK, but there are lots of things adults do that kids can't. I drive a car in front of my kids, too. I'd rather have my kids see us drinking responsibly that feel that it's something taboo. This! I'd rather have my kids see me drink a glass of wine at at dinnerparty and say no thanks to a refill now, than send them off to a party sometime in the future...
In Denmark carseats are installed with ISOfix or just a seatbelt. I don't know if ISOfix would be compatible with LATCH. I've never used a carseat in the US (never went after I had children). I think it's the same all over Europe. Maybe you should find out if your seats are legal in Denmark before you haul them all the way over here. Seats have to carry an ECE4403 or ECE4404 approval mark to be legal. they look like...
Quote: Originally Posted by doctormom She relys heavily on cliches and falls back onto the same handful of phrases over and over. Seriously, pick any chapter in any book, and count how many times Edward "smirked" "chucked" "smoldered" "dazzled" and "grimaced." I kept wishing I could buy the author a thesaurus, because her limited use of language really interfered with the development of the story. I read the first two books in Danish and...
Quote: Originally Posted by zipworth I want a story about Jacob and Renesmee! Me too! I want to know about the whole "imprinting to make stronger wolves" thing. Will they have children? What will 1/2 werewolf 1/4 vampire 1/4 human children be like? And will the Volturi come back? Will the Cullens and their allies be able to fight them off later on when they don't have the same element of surprise? I was sort of disappointed that they didn't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride hmm....do you two have theaters that are more quiet than ours? I suppose I could try it, but I can't see it going well. Our movies are loud. You don't have special screenings for mother/baby pairs? All the theatres around here have that. They have screenings around noon, where they turn the sound down and only sell half the tickets so each mother will have two seats: one for her self and one for the baby...
Quote: Originally Posted by bamamom NICU nurses, unfortunately, see the worst of the worst. They see the very bad outcome babies. The ones who come in by EMS, blue and bagged, and they do get angry. They feel like "If she's been HERE, this wouldn't have happened!". NICU nurses do have hearts, and it steams them to see things that they see as "preventable". I hope that they also think "if she'd been at home this wouldn't have happened" when...
It sounds like he really doesn't want to be there. Maybe you would be doing him a favour by asking someone else to be there. I would ask him to stay out of the room, no matter how he feels about being there..