or Connect

Posts by snugglemama

What a great story! Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience with my first, I was pushing for two hours and nothing was happening, until someone suggested using a towel, which I held onto one end and people took turns standing between my legs holding the other end. Getting something to pull on really helped!
Hi Jennifer. I'm sorry you are having to worry about your ds. I'm a speech pathologist and I do early intervention, just what you are having. I go to people's homes, do evaluations and therapy and I've also worked in toddler classrooms. First let me say to some of the other posters that I don't believe speech therapy at this age is in any way just a money maker. I get paid the same whether the child qualifies for therapy or not, there is always another child to see. ...
$25 dollars per hour?! That is a lot in my opinion, but then again, maybe they have some special service to offer, like being trained in giving massages, or baby massage, or being a certified lactation consultant or something like that. I think around here 10-12 dollars per hour is normal, and people do contracts for a certain number of hours but those can be used in any way that the mama and her ppdoula agree on, all in one week, or five hours per week for four weeks,...
Bumping this up in hopes of getting some responses!
A post partum doula goes to a new mama's home in the first few weeks after birth to make her life a little easier and allow her time to bond with new babe and support her in becoming a mother. the ppdoula may fix a meal, do a load of laundry or light cleaning, occupy the older kids so mama can concentrate on just the baby. May also draw a bath or give a foot massage. The post partum doula can also help in showing new moms ways to sooth the baby, how to use a sling, and...
I'm sorry I don't have time to write more, but it's past midnight here and I have to tear myself away from this computer and go to bed! I just wanted to say that I used a birth doula for both of my ds's births and wouldn't have had it any other way. I don't think I could have gone unmedicated the first time without her help and support! My husband also loved having her there. He says it took some of the anxiety away for him because he knew she would advocate for me at...
I am a certified post partum doula, but I haven't begun practicing yet as I am waiting until my ds is able to go four hours away from mamma. I think it is a great concept and I've been through a two day workshop to learn about it, but I don't know anyone who has actually hired one. I don't even see it mentioned much on these boards. I'm hoping some of you who have had a post partum doula can tell me what she did for you, what you liked, what you wished she had done,...
I'm a member of LLL, and am in a women's choir called MUSE. We sing about many different women's issues, and about half the choir is gay so some of our songs are about those issues, but many are just about life. You can look at the MUSE website if you want, and hear parts of some songs, I think (look up MUSE in Cincinnati). The group is full of awesome, interesting women, very supportive. Singing with them fills my heart. I think even though my dh and I love each...
I'm new to activism, but ever since dh and I rented Bowling For Columbine for the first time a few weeks ago I've been more sensitive to the fear-mongering done by the media. Our local stations did the whole flu epidemic, worst flu year ever stuff, especially playing up the death of a one year old in our area. However my pediatrician said they haven't seen any more cases in their office than in the previous years. Then the news starts running stories on people lining up...
bumpity bump