or Connect

Posts by vesta

It sounds like your husband is depressed and self-medicating. It's one thing to enjoy smoking pot. It's another to be angry and irritable all the time EXCEPT when your toking. It doesn't really matter what the addiction is, it could be food, alcohol, sex, whatever. The fact is if you can't feel good without a crutch, you are depressed. Since you have a family history of substance abusers it does make you more susceptible to accepting 'unacceptable behavior', you know what...
Does anyone do Montessori homeschooling and if so, did you buy a curriculum? What are the strengths and challenges of Montessori homeschooling? Thanks for the info!
I used to have some really flaky "friends" in my life too. It definitely had to do with the way I was raised. I could never count on my parents and as a mother I realized I didn't want my kids to have people like that in their lives--it would give them the message that being treated like that is normal or acceptable. Now I am very picky about who I let in my life. I actually went into social hibernation for about a year where I weeded out almost every friend (I was...
It sounds like you are on the right track, maybe just hone your technique a little more. When one of my kids gets on the others nerves, I put them on my bed for a cool-down period. I don't let them have books or toys (that's why they go on my bed--so it's boring for them--it should be boring or else they don't understand the idea that hurting someone else requires time apart to think about behavior, not play). I calmly tell them their behavior is unacceptable, I don't give...
I too am disturbed by the idea that your one year old is "looking for abuse". A one year old is not old enough to understand what is going on here, she probably thinks this is normal and it's all she knows. A four year old is plenty old enough to learn not to hit others, especially little ones. Your son might be feeling scared and out of control at this point, and needs to know that you will protect him from his own aggressive urges. I think you would be helped by...
Does anyone know of a bug spray that's safe for kids and doesn't have DEET? Thanks!
Liz, It sounds like your son has good manners. My kids have different temperments, one is feistier and one is more laid back. But they both know what good manners are, like not trashing other people's houses and not being pushy. Three or four is old enough to use basic manners on playdates. The moms I know generally have the same rules for a preschool playdate: the children take turns with toys, they aren't mean to younger siblings, they help clean up the toys after the...
Geekmom, I used to intervene with other people's children, but I learned two things from it. One, some parents get very offended when you do this and feel you are criticizing their parenting skills. Two, some parents are thrilled when you intervene because it allows them to go on ignoring their children. I recently went to the local park with my kids and there were two children around their age (toddler and preschooler) there with their mom and dad. The other kids were...
megandavisdon, Have you spoken with the other mothers in the playgroup about this child's behavior? It might be a good time to establish a set of rules for playgroup behavior and how you all would like to see it handled. Giving the mother the benefit of the doubt, she may be clueless as to how to discipline a toddler and maybe you could buy a discipline book (Dr. Sears is good) and loan it out to everyone in the group. Unfortunately, anyone who has been through the...
I need advice about my toddler. She won't wear a diaper during the day anymore, and that's fine as far as peeing goes. She can hold it for hours, goes on the potty, and doesn't even wet during her nap. She's a camel. The problem is that she doesn't have the same control with pooping. She doesn't like pooping so she won't sit on the potty and do it. The problem is she won't wear a diaper to poop, either. You can see where this gets messy and annoying. She's very strong...