or Connect

Posts by Bird Girl

Do you have a tent? If you have a tent with a rain-fly, you could have a "Noah's Ark" party! I would make paper-plate animal hats like these:  http://alphamom.com/family-fun/holidays/diy-holiday-hats-for-every-occasion/ only turned into whatever animal you like. You could do face-paints for every kid with a small set like this: http://www.dickblick.com/products/palmer-face-paint-pots/ and the kids could pretend to be animals. Ask them to bring their rainboots and have an...
Ah, yes, the air diet. Totally normal. Don't obsess about what she's eating--this is the age at which it's best to just put a spoonful of whatever you're eating down on the tray or table and let her do what she will. Of course, it give you extra incentive to eat the things that you want her to eat--but ultimately, that's the only way to get her to eat healthily anyway. Murphy's law states that anytime you have a special portion of something you really enjoy, she will...
I will say that 3.5, even if he's a precocious and verbal 3.5, is too young to reliably give self reports about things that he feels very strongly about. If he's had an accident, or if he's decided that it's too much bother to interrupt his own play to use the toilet when he needs to, (and these are very common occurrences at his age) he doesn't really have the emotional maturity to analyze his own actions and discuss it afterward. He's really telling you what...
I've been the happiest with the canvas sneakers that I've gotten from Baby Gap and the Gap Outlet. They are a classic look, and between the boys' department and the girls' department, usually come in navy, brown or black, and pink. They are truly flexible, which I value more than so-called "sturdiness" but hold up well. If they get very dirty, they can be machine washed. They run about $20 at Gap or $15 at the Gap Outlet.
My six-year-old really enjoys hearing Jim Weiss read The Story of the World. You might try it that way, if you'd like to get an interest in history started without dragging her kicking and screaming through it. And although I am a history major, I haven't come across any major historical inaccuracies in Story of the World. Yes, the chapters are simplified and the stories are put into a narrative form, but that is for the comprehensibility of the children who are reading...
The ikea dolls are a little odd looking in person. For me, they fell into the uncanny valley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley . But if you had a little one who wanted one when you went to the store, I can't see that it would be harmful.
I try to be sure that I put DD down for a nap after she's only been awake for one hour. That seems ridiculous, and she's perfectly smiley and pleasant after only one hour, but she nurses, lays down, and goes right to sleep. Then I put her down after a two-hour interval of being awake. At four months, she still takes three naps per day and is ready for bed at 7:00. When they have good naps, they need more of them!
Oh, she's five weeks old? I would say that she's just fussy--many 5-6-7 week-olds have a couple of hours of fussiness at the end of the day. It's just their little nervous systems boiling over with all the stimulation that they can't tamp down yet. And when babies really cry at the end of the day, they swallow a lot of air, so they get gassy, but it's the crying causing the gas, not the gas causing the crying. If she were really collicky, she would cry for more like...
Although, if CPS has been alerted because of your false positive for drugs or your unassisted childbirth attempt, you may want to wait on the beer...   WIC can help you get a pump. Call them tomorrow, if you can. There are hand-pumps that are much less expensive and can help you for a couple of days. However you feel about formula, the first rule of breastfeeding is "feed the baby." If you wind up back in the hospital with a dehydrated baby, you will feel worse than...
Most any wool carpet will not offgas, since wool is a naturally bug-resistant material. They can sometimes smell of lanolin, but that's not harmful.   I will say that my babies mostly laid in their baby gym when they were tiny, and once they started to sit up, I usually sat them in our Boppy pillow, which provided some protection to their giant heads when they toppled over. I wouldn't worry about purchasing any particular baby-themed mat except for a gym and...