or Connect

Posts by Bird Girl

She sounds colicky--my oldest child was super colicky, and she sounds just the same. I will tell you--my oldest child is an extremely gifted, sensitive child--she plays the violin, and she's very good--plays concertos at age 8. That same intelligent, sensitive temperament led her to scream pretty much nonstop as an infant. So hang in there--the fussiest babies can be very rewarding children.   Three things helped us when my DD was a baby--a pacifier, a tight swaddle,...
Fiona will be four weeks old tomorrow, so she's not super regimented yet. She's been waking up pretty late--around 9 or 10, but this morning she woke up at 8. She'll nurse, get a new diaper, and be awake for a little while. This morning, I put her down for a nap at 9. She woke up at 10, then nurses and naps on and off for the rest of the day--part of it in the swing, part of it in the sling. She goes to sleep between 11 and 12--sometimes in her bed, but more often, next...
I will say that we kept all our formula samples; we put them down with the earthquake supplies. I want my husband to be able to feed the baby if something should happen to me and, secondarily, if there is a major earthquake in our area, we will probably run into someone who needs that formula.   I've never actually opened a can of formula, however--all the samples we've ever received were stored until their expiration date, then pitched.   I would second the...
In general, it seems like German kids' and babies' things are so much higher quality, I would be hard-pressed to offer tips. Do you have soothies gel pads for sore nipples? Those are nice--and easy to take back in a suitcase.
We did yogurt as one of the first foods--if you're OK with ripe fruit and full-fat yogurt, they are a gentle start from breastmilk only. Either way, there's no need to rush. Both of mine sucked down food when they were ready to do so--one earlier, the other, later. Both are good eaters now, at ages 9 and 6. I believe a high-iron food could be helpful at this age, but offering in a low-pressure way is really all you CAN do, so why worry?
Take it easy on yourself! I've had two miserable pregnacies myself, (almost done with this one) and when you add in all the hormonal imbalance, it's a miracle that anyone has more than one baby. Try to take it one day at a time. You'll have good days before December, so hang in there.
I've been wearing Crocs this pregnancy--they're called Crocs Rx, though I don't know what's prescription about them. The softness of the plastic makes them easier on my feet than the support of the Danskos that I ususally wear.
I think sentences are a great way of offering a consequence for behavior, and they provide a quick and logical way to solve the running-off problem--if she runs off, her sentences will be doubled. You should be able to remind her quickly, and hopefully that would be enough of a clue that she should shut off the temper and start acting in her own best interest. If not, well, she may have to write a LOT of sentences a couple of times...but that won't be the end of the...
What about some kind of music lessons? We find that music tends to be grouped much more by ability than by age. In my DD's group violin class, there is a girl two years younger than my DD, and another 18 months older. They play together very well.  
I had a third degree tear with my first child. Her head circumfrence was in the 90% percentile, so even though she wasn't very large, her head was huge. She was well positioned, and I pushed her out slowly over three hours. My skin isn't very stretchy, and I got tons of stretch marks, and I think those two things contributed way more to my tear than any nonsense about visualization. The good news is that with my second child, I tore, but much less--I only needed a few...