or Connect

Posts by ReadingMama

Hi ladies. I haven't visited MDC in a while now. My son is 13yo and I just found out I'm pregnant! Surprise! It took 4 tests before I believed it! I have PCOS and was told 9 or 10 years ago that I'd need fertility treatment to get pregnant again. We haven't prevented pregnancy since our son was 4! I'm a size 20, will be 39 next month, and I have Crohn's disease, fibromyalgia, and Crohn's arthritis, so I'm labelled high risk too. I have an ultrasound in the morning. ...
Ooh, that It's Alive! books sounds interesting!  Thanks for finding those resources.  :) Your last paragraph is exactly what I'm dealing with.  Thank you for laying it out like that.  Part of the challenge for my son is that handwriting is super hard for him.  He has to remember how to "draw" letters and numbers, and often gets them flipped.  (Dygraphia.)  So lining up a bunch of numbers and remembering where to put everything is harder for him than learning math...
Just want to say that I'm so grateful this discussion is happening. It's the most open and honest and balanced discussion of unschooling that I've ever read.  My son is almost 12 (6th grade officially, but probably at about a 4th grade level in math), and he has resisted traditional math since we began homeschooling in 1st grade.  I "let him off the hook" a few years ago, and I definitely see progress in everyday, real life math.  But not in the type of math that...
Awesome!  Thank you!  This sounds better than trying to pull back on 80 pounds of muscle every time someone comes to the door.  He's our first big dog, so I'm a little clueless as to how to manage a dog that is stronger than me!  He has a halter, and it helps some.  But he pulls a lot on a leash too.  And he eats Legos.  Other than that, he's a perfect guy!  :P 
Tank is 4 or so, and was found running the streets with his fellow escapee brother, Axel.  (Tank's a front door bolter.  Any tips for handling that?) Axel found a home first.  Tank was bummed, but now he's happy!  He's about 80 pounds.  He's so calm and sweet and tolerant and funny!  When he gets excited or smells food he blows drool bubbles.  He wags his whole butt.  He snores, farts, and burps.  He's just such a sweetheart.  He's fully housetrained and came to us...
Man, I got Tank the red Nylabone Rhino Chew bone and he chewed a chunk off of that (and swallowed it).  So I got him the stronger black one.  He chewed pieces of that one off and swallowed them too!  He wasn't that interested in his XL black Kong.  Maybe he needs an XXL?  He loves the bones, but he eats the pieces he chews off!  Any ideas for what I should try next?    
I want to clarify that I haven't experienced any blasting here at MDC.  I didn't even consider that anyone would think that's what I meant!  No, where I've experienced it is in real life, mostly with radical unschooling moms.  And on unschooling groups (such as Facebook and Yahoo groups).  I had an email convo with Sandra Dodd the other day, and while I'm grateful for the time she took to write and that she included really helpful links, the overall idea was that the...
 Thank you so much for acknowledging all of this.  For putting into words what some of us are thinking and feeling but are too afraid to say for fear of being blasted over our baggage, lack of trust in our children, etc...  It's happened to me several times when I've shared my son's struggles with trying to learn naturally while dealing with learning challenges.  Dyslexia, dysgraphia. and dyscalculia.  Being an unschooler doesn't preclude me from accepting LD diagnoses...
Thanks for the advice.  The rescue group gave us two doses of tapeworm medicine to give 3 weeks apart.  Whew!  Do you know if it's true that tapeworm can't be passed from dog to dog or dog to human?  (That it has to come from injesting a flea or an animal with tapeworm.)  
My son found a flat, segmented worm on one of our new dog's poops.  It wasn't moving.  He also came to use with a little white, crusty looking area on his anus.  GROSS!  Apparently he has tapeworms.  His rescue group said they dewormed him when they rescued him 2 months ago.  Could he still be shedding dead worms?  Can it sometimes take more than one dose of dewormer for tapeworms?  What do I need to do to make sure it goes away?  And that our other dog doesn't get...