or Connect

Posts by katheek77

We just went and picked another 3 qts of mulberries from around our apt. complex. I wish I had more room in my freezer. Semi-on-topic/digression: One thing that I think isn't truly appreciated by a lot of people is having a connection to our food. I grew up in the country, and my grandparents had a farm. So, I grew up knowing how to berry, understanding that if I wanted carrots in my salad, I had to help plant, weed, harvest them. I understood that if I wanted a...
Generally, you get what you get. That said, Breakfast and Lunch are usually leftovers/quick to fix, and I'll let DD decide, within reason (ie...I'm not cooking a 3 course meal for breakfast, but, I'm more than willing to heat up a bowl of soup or make a grilled cheese for her). I will occassionally say she needs protein or a veggie or whatever. Dinner - she gets what she gets. I expect her to at least TRY something new. She has never gotten into the...
So, I saw a mulberry bush with lots of ripe berries yesterday. Problem was, it is on someone's lawn. A strangers'. But, I figured, can't hurt to ask. They said I was more than welcome to harvest them. They kind of made a face about someone even thinking to eat them. I guess they're not big fans. I borrowed a container from my employer, and filled that up yesterday after work. I made up 4 half pints, 4 quarter pints, and a full pint of mulberry jam, and still...
Quote: Originally Posted by AngelBee I had no clue that you could can ground beef. : You can can just about anything if you have a pressure canner. Beef, venison, lamb, pork, etc. Chunks or ground. The Ball Bible o' Canning (whatever the whole title is) has the directions
Quote: Originally Posted by Amys1st We have tried making granola but its just not jiving with us. . That's so odd. I was just coming to comment on the fact that I had sunflower seeds, macademia nuts, and diced sweetened pineapple I was trying to use up. I made.... Tropical Granola. I took a regular granola recipe, subbed macademias for almonds, added shredded coconut, subbed coconut oil for veggie oil, and added the pineapple after...
Bump
Hit a good sale yesterday. A two day sale. I have limited funds so, I'm being very cautious with money. HOWEVER, DD and I both love cantaloupe, and they were $1 each. I bought 4, and made cantaloupe pickles (more like spiced cantaloupe actually) and it is boiling in the canner right now. I'm going over my canned foods from last year, and putting them right on the counter so they're there when I plan/cook meals. Mulberry season is right around the corner, so, I got...
Family of three. I do a load every 7-10 days, or two loads every two weeks. So, roughly 4 loads/month. I don't separate, though.
Quote: Originally Posted by ThereseReich Maybe you'll get a foreclosed home from homeowners that didn't want the The master bedroom has zero windows (During the summer time: "Sorry honey, we can't get any of the cool air from outside into this room because there are no windows, so we'll have to let the fan circulate the hot air in the room while we sleep") and you have to walk through this bedroom in order to access the rest of . Slightly OT. ...
My DD wore a size 3 when she started walking. Honestly, she just ran around in elkkid soft soles all summer long. They actually held up a really long time (all summer and well into fall), and it was a t-strap style, but in their soft-soles (not the flex-soles). If you can find a co-op, they're usually about 16-20 bucks in the coop, and they have a couple of "sandal" styles. She'll be 3 in six weeks, and she still only wears a size 6. I got her a pair of sandals...