or Connect

Posts by katheek77

I just found out our library has coupon boxes. I went through that yesterday. I also do coupon exchanges with some people online. Plus, I have a couple of friends who don't use their coupons, so, I get those as well. Anyway, the "trick" is just to combine coupons wth sales. I had a total of $107.xx at the grocery on Sunday, and after sales and coupons (our store doubles up to - but not including - $1) it was $37.xx All stuff I'd buy anyway (except a couple things...
Quote: Originally Posted by Leta I thought I'd share the results of our most recent once-a-month shopping excursion, since I've been getting lots of questions about our methods lately. I thought this one would be helpful because, unusually, we only went to regular grocery stores this month. Typically, we also hit Gordon's Food Service (a restaurant supply company) and our friends with the restaurant (another bulk supplier). We went to super Wal Mart,...
Quote: Originally Posted by Storm Bride I've heard that before, but almost all my friends who own got their down payment, or a significant chunk of it, from their parents, and they've all stayed on top of it...some of them are 15-20 years into their mortgages. OP: I personally think it really depends on the family. I'd accept help from my mom, if she could afford to offer it. I wouldn't have (frequently didn't) accept a dime from my grandmother,...
double
I think the idea behind everything is if you can't afford to save enough for the down payment, and need that in order to have a smaller monthly payment, will you be able to afford all of the maintenance and associated costs with having the house? I'm not saying you can't. I'm just saying that's the principle behind it.
I leave my almost three year old alone to take out the garbage, empty the car, or run down two flights to the laundry. I've been doing it since about the time she turned two. I can't carry her and the laundry bags or multiple bags of groceries or whatever at the same time. And, frankly, our parking lot is more dangerous than our apartment, imo, and you have to cross it to get to the dumpster or your car depending on how crowded. I do make sure the door to the balcony...
I work as a nanny. I want to emphasize how important it is to do a trial day or two (even before a probation period). Please make sure you leave yourself enough time for that. I found a wonderful family that I felt for sure we'd be a perfect match (and vice versa), but, after spending a day and a half in their home (the trial we'd agreed on before a probation period) there was just something "off" about the whole thing. I couldn't quite put my finger on it - just...
I have tubular breasts, so, DD was supp'd on formula. About half of her feedings were formula. I bought the Target brand for about $13/can. That lasted 10-14 days (remember, that was for half her feedings). She wasn't picky or sensitive, though, and I could easily switch between the target brand and the free samples I got through the mail/ob/pediatrician, so, that cut down on costs, as well. (As well as fresh bm vs. frozen vs. mixed with formula). I had her on...
They're back on available again. A few of the traditional medicinals are also 80-85% off (so, like, 6 boxes of tea for $4-5 total)
Not exactly a monthly sale, but, I ran out of DD's cod liver oil (she loves it, crazy kid, and has been asking for her "gold fish oil") which I usually get through Frontier Coop. I found it cheaper on Amazon when I signed up for subscribe and save. $17.24 (free shipping) for a 3-pack versus $6.90/each on Frontier. So, as much as I love Frontier, esp. if I run out of something unexpectedly and don't expect to be putting in a big order that month ($250 for the free...