or Connect

Posts by katheek77

I'm confused as to where you're getting the $1000/mo military retirement. At 20 years, you get 50% of base pay calculated on your 36 highest months. I don't know what his rank is, but, even an E-5 with 20 years pulls $2800+/month base pay, meaning retirement would be $1400+ month. And a higher rank obviously pulls more than that.... Or is he taking REDUX? Because then you'd be getting a bonus, so....
We do all our cleaning supplies, paper products, soaps/detergents, etc. in groceries. When DD was still on supp. formula, that had its own category, as did diapers and wipes when she used them. Mostly because I got those three at a completely different area of town.
My parents were 20 (mom) and 34 when they married. Had me 11 months later. Sister was born when mom was 23. Dh and I married at 28 (me) and 24 (DH). DD was born 1yr 2days later. We are in a much better financial position than they were.
When I got pregnant, I was 181. At delivery, I was 201. Two weeks after delivery, I was down to 180, and then I plateaued for two years around 175 Nothing I did could budge the weight until I stopped pumping about 7 months ago. Since I stopped pumping, the weight has been slowly, but steadily, coming off. I'm down to around 160-162. I'm 5'9", so, that's a healthy weight for me.
Is this still going? I need in. I just figured out we have a glut of food (a lot of stuff I ordered came in all at once), so, I want to use up some of the older items. Plus, our CSA starts the first week of June. Until June 1, I want to buy only milk, eggs, cheese, and some fresh produce (we have tons of frozen, dried, home-canned, etc). My goal is to spend $25 or less per week. Tonight, I made taco meat with frozen ground venison on homemade cornbread. I'm...
What about just leftovers from the day before? We do that all the time at our house. I don't think the first meal has to be "traditional" breakfast foods, yk? Another thing I meant to suggest is, if you don't want to make a big breakfast every day, what about cooking up some pancakes on the weekend, IQFing them, and storing them in the freezer. Then you can pull them out as you want.
Embrace it fully (wet, dirt, mud, bugs, snakes, etc) if it's above 50degrees farenheit. Below that, and I'm a wuss. : I got dirty looks from other parents at dance class today because I told my daughter and the girl I nanny that we could go to the playground outside while her sister danced. The playground was wet because it had been raining. But, it was in the mid-fifties and *not* raining during dance class. But, apparently, a lot of parents didn't want their...
I don't see anything wrong with it. We are frugal in some ways, and absolutely not frugal in others. Recent examples: I buy a pound of dried chickpeas for less than a dollar, but then spend almost $4 on organic curry powder to cook them with. My daughter wears 95% thrift store/hand-me-down/clearance clothing, but we'll be spending $300+/month next year to send her to year-round immersion pre-school. I wear my jeans until they literally fall apart (I'm not talking...
I was going to say something along the lines of what velo said. We are hoping to own our own house, free and clear, with some land, and fully fund retirement at a decent level - not extravagent, but, comparable to where we are now. I'm thinking our net worth, in order to do that, would be at least $1million, almost assuredly more, because we're not counting on DH's military pension/health care (I don't completely trust that the government won't turn around and slash...
I was 4-5 cm five days before I went into labor (baby was born after 8 hours of labor). I was at 3 cm at 36 weeks. I don't know what I was at right before labor.