or Connect

Posts by sewingmama

I'm not a VBAC mama, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, but this caught my eye.  I had my first at a birthing center many years ago with CNMs, and then my second with CNMs at home, and some of the concerns I had are similar to yours.  I think you can look at the odds and risks all you want, and honestly, it doesn't matter if the risk is 1% or 10% -- if you and your baby fall into that 1%, it doesn't matter if you're the only one that something's ever happened to. ...
Well, it does seem like it could be a workable solution, and I would seriously consider it.  The setup, the country living, the opportunities, the money savings, the chance to develop a close inter-generational relationship for your children, the chance to model caring for someone else to your children -- all of that sounds really, really wonderful!  (And it sounds like there are reasonable options if you do want a day or evening off.)   The thing that gives me pause...
It's not particularly "natural," but my MW with #2 recommended that I take Vitron-C tablets for anemia.  It's not super expensive, has vitamin C added to it, and is generally available OTC, though you may need to try a couple of places before finding it.  It works extremely quickly for me; with my second baby, I felt remarkably better within a week.
It's probably just hormones, but even if you do get sick, one of my midwives a while ago did tell me that I didn't need to worry about treating a fever (normally I wouldn't treat a fever, but I was concerned about the baby) until it hit more like 102. 
If the small car is the main reason for not taking on another daycare child or two, I'd suggest looking for children who need care before or after school.  You might even find parents who need someone to take their children from school to dance/piano/Scouts/etc.  School-age children may not need carseats, so they might fit in your car.  Or, if you took on one or two more children during the day, could you buy a cheap minivan so that you could take everyone to the park/etc.?
I've worn all three of mine within hours of birth! I'm not up and about a whole lot the first several days after birthing, but each time, I put the baby in a sling or wrap within a couple of hours of birth because it was easier to type their birth announcements out to everyone with two hands. (Also, I've always gone into labor in the middle of the night and have labored for several hours, during which I don't feel like eating, so after the birth, I need a full meal, not...
35/36 is probably below my personal cutoff for having a UC, maybe even a homebirth. I'm pretty sure at 35/36w, I'd want my MW there, just in case, especially since I'm not all that close to a hospital. Also, 35/36w is very early *for me* -- my three babes have all been born at close to or after 41w, so 35/36 is a month earlier than I'd expect. But if I tended to have healthy babies at 37w, I might be more inclined to UC/homebirth at 35/36. That's all theoretical...
Apple Valley Creamery sells various milks (raw and pasteurized), cream, butter, eggs, and other things too. Very good stuff. They're down near Gettysburg but might be reasonable for you; they deliver as well. applevalleycreamery.com.
We just waited until DS2's cord was limp and white, and then we tied it with dental floss and DH cut it with scissors (wiping them with rubbing alcohol first). No big deal, though I like the idea of braiding an embroidery floss cord to use.
*Not* an expert, but I've gone over three times and have had large babies too. My third baby was a UC, and when my water broke, it had some flecks of green in it. Had it been thick or dark (or if it had progressed to that if labor continued for a while), I probably would have called my backup MW and had her start driving down, just in case the baby needed extra help. As it was, my baby was born about 20 minutes after my water broke, and he was fine. Little fluidy at...