or Connect

Posts by Zeppy3

Hi all, Here is a website that answers many, many questions about jury duty concerns that stay-at-home parents have: http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.org/ There's also a section that lists every state and what their jury duty policies are regarding excusing or deferring parents who are caring for babies and young children: http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...JuryStates.htm Hope this helps.... Zeppy
[QUOTE=Mammo2Sammo] She then starts to wonder what a jury duty exemption for mothers would have affected the defendent. "Mothers, especially those at home with their children day after day, suddenly seemed more qualified than anyone else to fairly judge a case involving a parent who had "lost it" with her own flesh and blood."[/QUOTE=Mammo2Sammo] Jury duty *is* important, but can't it wait until our kids are older?? Hey, we don't stop being mothers! Wouldn't a...
MFuglei, I fully understand your situation b/c it happened to me (altho' I wasn't BFing at the time -- I still had 2 young kids!). When I reported for jury duty and requested my service be postponed until my kids were older, the judge *yelled* at me (in front of my kids!) : and said that he could give me a couple of months to "make arrangements" for a babysitter. When I explained how difficult it would be to do that, he mocked me by saying, "Oh c'mon, don't you get a...
The way the judge treated you was absolutely terrible. I'm not surprised, though, because this kind of abuse has been going on all over the US! Will you be serving on a jury? (I thought you said you were picked). If so, how long? This is so unfair... You are a responsible parent, responsible citizen (some people don't even show up for a jury summons) and you're treated like dirt! This really does S*ck!!! I can relate to your ordeal... I was called for jury...
Avonlea, Glad to hear that your jury duty crisis was resolved. You were asking about where to find info about state laws concerning jury duty... The link below contains the most comprehensive listing of states, US territories and US Federal District Courts that have provisions for parents called for jury duty. http://www.familyfriendlyjuryduty.or...JuryStates.htm It's best to be informed about these laws, because believe it or not, some courts don't inform...
I remember when I got my first period in the summer before 6th grade. I was only 10-1/2! I was so glad my mom told me what to expect before I started! I don't have any daughters, but ds#1 was about 12 when his voice started changing big time. Now he's 13 and sounds like his dad! Zeppy3
Quote: Originally posted by Breathe Thanks, Mamas. This is helpful info. DiaperDiva, I'll tell my friend to look into this -- if that rule holds true for all of NC, the little clerk helper (hah!) wasn't aware of it. I would be AMAZED if NC had such a progressive, family-friendly exemption, but wouldn't it be AWESOME if all states did?!?! And I agree 100% about which is a more important civic duty! Hi Breathe! Although the Courts (or "little...
How mothers and little ones are treated says a lot about how progressive a state is. I say "Bravo" for Texas! I had a very unpleasant jury duty experience with a very mean and unsympathetic judge 3 years ago. When I asked to be excused or postponed because I had 2 young children and no family to help out, he replied, “Oh, come on, you get a babysitter when you go out to dinner!” I said where would I find a suitable babysitter at the last minute for a trial...
I can fully relate to your jury duty childcare concerns, as this same type of situation happened to me. The Judge was completely lacking in understanding of my circumstances when I asked to be deferred because I was taking care of my 2 young children and had no family or friends who could help out. He made me feel like a *criminal* for asking! I have since learned that there are quite a few states (and even U.S. territories) that have or are considering family...