or Connect

Posts by AndVeeGeeMakes3

Thanks. What is your recipe? I make some of her "therapy food," but most if her nutrition is Peptamen Jr. $1,200 a month for food/ supplies.
DD is 7.5yo and still tube fed. She *can* eat, but won't. I'm so over it. Anyone have (or know of) a kid like this? Are we past some abysmal threshold where it'll just never happen? Ugh!!!
How is she doing at school? Being at school can be a really good thing for a kiddo with SPD (it was for mine), and (this may be me just reading something into your post that's not intended) it seems like you're worried about managing it were she to stay home.  I guess the question is whether or not her being at school is helping her enough to warrant the expense.  Maybe that's a "no duh" statement .
This is a major reason why we did change VeeGee's name.  I wanted to give her a new start.  And, because, biologically, she is related to my husband, I wanted/needed to give her something from my side of the family.  So, she has my grandmother's name.  And she actually never self-identified until she had a new name.  Now, you can't even call her cute without her saying, "I'm not cute, I'm VeeGee!!!"   I guess the point is that there are different paths for every family. ...
My daughter has had a g-tube for most of her life. She's always been pretty insistent that no one touch it, but this has happened to her. The one thing that is important to know is that it DOES hurt, and it can tear the skin around the hole if the balloon, which is what holds it into the stomach, is full. Typically, though, a tube only comes out "easily" if the balloon is a bit deflated. I'm pretty protective of my daughter and her tube. She also had a trach until she...
I totally understand. I'm sorry it's tough.
I agree that you shouldn't call. It's never a good policy to respond to hypothetical hurt feelings. But I disagree that you should give a false reason should she confront you. I'd be gentle, but tell her that your daughter doesn't feel comfortable with hers. If you say the other bit, you're being a bit untruthful, since the MAIN reason this particular child wasn't on the list wasn't because of your limiting of the list -- it was her behavior, right? And, I'll bet...
I quit for a semester, knowing that I'd go back as soon as I could. And I did. It took me longer (way longer) to finish, but I'm really really glad that I did. Like others who say that you have to think about what you really want, I'll agree that it's a potentially permanent decision to opt out of academia at this stage -- for better or for worse, whether you intend it to be or don't. I think about this article ALL.THE.TIME. Since I'll be 40 in a few months (I "took...
My brother, who has Down and is 17, does both verbal and physical stemming, and my dd verbally stems. We have always told both to stop. It's not a shaming thing at all, and neither get embarrassed because we're not mean about it. It's more like we remind them that they're doing it, and when they realize it, they stop. Yeah, they may start again shortly, but we just lather rinse repeat, which can be, in and of itself, tiring. I agree with you that it's important to...
We're having some success, too, though with another tack. Still doing Miralax, though I've reduced it to only half an adult dose per day, and have FINALLY (thank you insurance!) started high-dose probiotics. She's having regular-ish bms -- at least pretty much every day. So, like you, I'm happy. Before, even with Miralax, it wasn't every day. We had to go of it while she was in the hospital (four days), and, sure enough, no poop. But, we're back on and going . . . . .