or Connect

Posts by KnittingTigers

Outdoorsy, we went through this. I was strongly opposed, DP strongly for. What I did was just step back and let him do his own reading, thinking and talking. After he talked to a bunch of his guy friends, he discovered that even though most of them were circ'd, they hadn't circ'd their sons. We also asked our midwife and our lactation consultant for their opinions. Both said there was no need. (The OB we talked to, on the other hand, was much more pro.) Finally, I sent DP...
Erin, couple of thoughts- first, episiotomy should not be on the table as a routine procedure. Our backup OB told us that OBs are recommended to NOT do them these days, and have to provide justification if they do. If your OB routinely does them, push back a little for an explanation. In terms of avoiding interventions, the best way to do this is to labor at home for as long as possible. With my first pregnancy, my midwife told me to head to the hospital when I started...
When I was pregnant with my first, I lived in some tunics and leggings from American Apparel. This time I needed more professional wear. Luckily a colleague lent me an entire wardrobe- mostly from Motherhood, some Target and Pea in the Pod mixed in. Very little of it was stuff that I would have chosen on my own, but most of it wasn't nauseating, and best of all, it was free. By the end, I was so huge that very little fit. I am SO GLAD that I will never be pregnant again....
On GBS- you can google lots of herbal treatments. If what you want is to pass the test, douche beforehand with Hibiclens diluted in warm water. Do your research before you take the test- if you're fine with the antibiotics in labor, no worries. If you know that you'll decline them, I highly recommend either refusing the test, or doing the Hibiclens thing ahead of time. Once you have a positive GBS on your chart, the hospital will get very cranky if you decline the abx, and...
No, but I had a midwife with an OB backup. We interviewed four practices before finding one we felt comfortable with. Though actually, most of the OBs we talked to felt okay about L&D as long as both babies were head down (which mine were). Good luck navigating!
Congrats Jess and Quinalla! Our babies were born last Saturday morning! Theron River (6 lbs 4 oz) and Jane Sofia (5 lb 11oz). I delivered vaginally in the L&D suite, though I did end up getting an epidural at the very end, after 6 hours(!) of stalled transition. I had planned a natural birth, but have no regrets- the epi was what I needed to keep going and push them out. My DP and doula were both amazing, and the twins are just perfect. Breastfeeding is a bit of a hot...
Drive by to say that the twins are here! Theron River and Jane Sofia were born Saturday morning after 12 hours of intense labor (throughout which I avoided a section and was able to push them both out vaginally!). T was 6 lb 4 oz and J was 5.11. We are exhausted but in love! Pics soon. Hugs and good thoughts to everyone else here.
Jess, your leave sounds great! I wish I could take more time. My DP and I work at the same university, which is fabulous in lots of ways, however that means that only one of us can take advantage of the paid time off for parental leave.:/ Luckily, he's faculty so he'll have the summer off from teaching. I spent a lot of time in the beginning of this pregnancy getting really angry about the lack of paid leave in the US. I've mostly let it go now. Mostly...:)  
  I've heard that lots of people can't drive at this point! I think that the only thing that has saved me is having an abnormally long torso, so they are more spread out up-and-down than sticking straight out. I've always bemoaned this body feature (shirts are always too short, and women's hiking packs never fit me correctly), but right now, I'm feeling really grateful for it! I drive an Accord, and there's still plenty of space between me and the wheel.   That said, I'm...
Quinalla, good luck! I'm thinking of you!   Jess, I'm so sorry that you are feeling stressed about the c-section. I would be too. I'm sort of glad that if I end up with one, it will be unexpected so I won't have too much time to freak out about it. That said, I know that planning it can make it much better. Here are a couple articles about the hospital where I gave birth to my daughter. They have instituted a new "gentle caesarean" program. This might give you some...