or Connect

Posts by PreggieUBA2C

I thought this was normal...   And I also just assumed the ball was a spherical polyhedron (I didn't look it up). For fun, I break into M.C. voice and call it, "The SPHERE of cirrrrcles" in the middle of an otherwise usual sentence. It is a very versatile toy, though. I had no idea who made it or what it is entitled; ours was a gift. :)
    I am a visual artist and work a lot with all types of old-fashioned brass nibs, which is why I thought of that example. :) Oh, the irony, I know, lol.   I am not at all asserting that literacy and mathematics are not important or that they haven't formed the foundation of our present human civilisation; clearly they have. I'm just not convinced that our particular expectations for how these areas of skill and understanding will be applied are the most beneficial to...
I think that the pp's have definitely covered why people insist on math skills being up to the standards set by whomever makes them. I did want to address a few things, too, though.    It is not necessary to have excellent, or even more than basic, math skills in order to create and retain wealth. Financial management in all but those particular careers that require more, is really basic. It is not difficult to look up formulas or even ask someone who loves complex...
*I just finished dealing with the internet connection after I typed the post below, so my timeline is off, but it's now 1:20pm*   This morning, my four boys cored their apples with steak knives. Then they sat together playing a game wherein the storyteller is drawing various elements of a story, and the others play by rolling dice and making decisions (homemade RPG), then ds3 spent time drawing while ds4 set himself up at the counter where I was planning to prepare...
I just made some, so I'll try to give an idea. I never use recipes, so this is rough, and bare, until the summer when I have lots of fresh herbs and parsley to add:   4 cans wild sockeye salmon, drained very well and mashed with a fork (or fresh salmon, if we have it) 4-6 large stalks celery finely minced 4-6 green whole green onions/scallions or 1 shallot finely chopped small handful of chopped dates or raisins 3 cups shredded coconut 3 TBSP dijon mustard, or 1 TBSP...
The Vitamin D Council. :)  
I think you could add a lot more (good) fat and protein into that list, which would help. I don't prepare snacks for my dc, except rarely. We eat a paleo(ish) diet, so their choices consist of foods within that limitation, but they know that nearly every food we have is fine to eat if they want it, but they ask about some things because they know that they may be intended for meals. I make biltong for quick, available meat, and when I make coconut salmon cakes, I make a...
Hey! I'm on here again, because dd (7 months) started crawling tonight! She's been using her body in all sorts of creative ways to move around for a few weeks, but tonight was the first time she did the alternating hands-and-knees crawl, and crossed the rug to obtain a flashlight (and subsequent to exclaiming, "That!", chewed on it). So awesome.   Yesterday we spent the afternoon at an indoor playground and my three yr old was thrilled to discover how easy it was...
It was definitely the eldest that assured the free-learning environment for all of us. I have probably chronicled my freak-outs about it here throughout the years, but after putting together the "education plan" for the gov't this past September, I think I'm completely over it. I am one of those people who will seek and find, then clearly define exactly what I need from a knowledgeable person, so my eldest (who is my personality-duplicate, it seems) comes by this...
I have a planet-sized bias to disclose before I carry on: my children are completely free to choose their own interests as far as works within our except-in-unusual-or-insurmountable-circumstances consensually-living home. Op, you wrote:       I have to say that it really isn't you doing any of what you wrote above in your list of abilities and qualities of your son. This is the reality that many/mot of us face here; they do it themselves. You are self-employed, and...