or Connect

Posts by PreggieUBA2C

This is the case for me, too. Shifting my focus has had the incidental effect of bringing joy for me into particular activities that definitely are considered drudgery to others.   I'm going to be putting up a fence this spring. I'm chomping at the bit for the end of winter so that I can start the heavy physical labour and finicky hand-tying that this task requires. I talk about these sorts of things with a genuine smile on my face, but have found time and again that my...
Can I add something no doubt controversial?   It took me a few decades to get this, but I think the path of least resistance is the best path, with the caveat that one acts to keep one's values. I don't think that must include drudgery, and if some aspect of keeping one's value seems to necessitate drudgery, but that person, in a deliberate evasion of drudgery, figures out a way to accomplish goals according to the value held without drudgery, then I think that is...
We don't do outside activities and my days are still like you described. My dc are all quite young yet, though, and we live rurally, so we really couldn't do nearly as much out of the home, as your family does. We do have the constant homelife chaos though. And I feel a lot like you do- that I need a rhythm, a peaceful atmosphere, and in my case, a lot of downtime to be healthy, and none of that is my reality- so far. I've begun to return to some more consensual living,...
I also have children who are very insistently autodidactic.   My now five year old figured out how to teach himself to read using a variety of books, but the pivotal one was Very Mixed-Up Animals, which is an excellently illustrated flip-book. He had loads of fun with it, giggling by himself curled up on his bed or on the couch, and laughing as he read his "creations" to us. :)
Another casual-sex-ed.-er here. It really is just a normal part of life, so we treat it that way, and have since each was born (like pp). My 6 and 7 yr olds are far more concerned about how to search for and find a partner with similar values. I don't think they have any real experience with sexual attraction, so it's pretty intellectual for them at this point. They have always been totally open with their questions, which makes it very natural to just answer them. :)
Check this company out. They also sell raw tung oil, and you could use that for durability on walls that you would like to wash, or you could use wax (not paraffin), which is also very durable.   I'm on the hunt for paint that won't make us sick, and that doesn't poison the soil outside when it rains. The Real Milk Paint Co. does indoor and outdoor paint. I haven't tried it, but it seems wonderful. Their raw tung oil is my choice for our new floors this summer, too.
Diana, the need for roaming in childhood is so under-appreciated. We're moving to the other side of the earth to assure this need for our family. I want to roam, too! Drastic, but necessary, imo.    My dc roam freely here, but it's only warm enough to do so for about 4-5 months per year, and the cold is completely prohibitive the rest of the time. So they free-range indoors the rest of the time. :( So sad. The warm months come up to 24 hrs of light, though, so they...
No doubt initially; I just meant that now, after being domesticated and consequently dependent, they wouldn't, in their present state, survive. If they had been left wild, they'd be surviving the way their nature dictates. They might over time regain those lost abilities, though.   I'd read an account of how the wolf became our domestic dog. It suggested that wolves scavenging from small, tribal settlements slowly acclimated to human interaction, then company, then...
I think Laohaire hit the proverbial nail on the head with this:   Quote:   Our basest need is survival, and I think conscious people come to a realisation that they don't know how to take care of themselves, that they are reliant on impersonal means of obtaining the basics for survival. This is a new situation for human beings, and we're totally unique in this way; no other living beings are in such a state en masse, except those that we've domesticated for our use (don't...
Wow, Diane B: that's awesome. Thank you for posting.