or Connect

Posts by PreggieUBA2C

This. Exactly. :)   Sometimes my children offer their ages and names, and it's weird because they say it so obviously as a social expression and don't expect a response, sort of like a roll call. They will then just start talking about the thing they wanted to say (if they are inclined), having accomplished the requisite formality.  
boysmom2, whew! I was just popping in to edit my post because upon reflection, I thought it may have seemed unnecessarily curt, but I really didn't intend that at all; I really did just type it all out stream-of-consciousness-style, and didn't even read it over until just now. Sooo, I am glad that you took it the way I meant it, and not how it could've seemed.   I didn't address the differences in your and your dp's approaches, but they seem very divergent right...
I'll just dig right in, if that's alright; I don't have a lot of time, but wanted to respond. :)       From my perspective, you will never teach another person this lesson. You can coerce a child into doing busy/dull/irrelevant work, but it won't teach this lesson. It will teach that if they have an interest in diving in and discovering for themselves what they need to know through experiencing not knowing, you are not a viable resource because your approach is to first...
Noatmeal is the name in MDA's online recipe book. I don't actually know what is in that, but I think it is meant to be made stovetop, rather than baked, which I do. :)   I just use whatever we have around and mix it all together, lol. I used to make oatmeal squares for breakfast, so now I just bulk up the two main ingredients- bananas (6 medium) and eggs (10 med-lrg)- with whatever I have on hand. Flaked or shredded coconut work very well, but nut-meals would work...
Last night we had a curried ground bison/spinach/roast carrot/few raisins/green onions/garlic sauce atop spaghetti squash. It was yummy. Our guests were unsure how we'd end up with dinner with no grain/dairy/tomatoes/potatoes/peppers, but were totally impressed. :D I made liberal use of goose fat to round out the spices. I forgot the coconut milk (not sure how I did that...), but it was delicious anyway. Today, I added in the coconut milk to the leftover meat-heavy...
So yay!   I have been working at my 100 drawing contract for a book on preparing and preserving the harvest for winter, and just received an email to reprint my as-of-yet-incomplete drawings for a city project. My drawings, if the council approves of the proposal, will be turned into pretty signs that will be permanent installations in the city's gardens around town. The initiative is to plant edible gardens, so my drawings are right in line, which is why I received...
We just bought a $30 ceramic heater that oscillates. It has made a 10 degree difference in the 12'x38' room it's in, and a 5-8 degree difference in the adjoining rooms. I am completely astonished. It's 1500 watts. It will be cheaper to run than the radiator style heater we were using, and the difference is amazing.
I just had to post that while I was reading this thread, I looked away many times to interact with my very sleepy baby. One of those times, my eyes tracked back, and my brain registered     as "funschooling." Lol. I thought that was awesome. :D
We have five and we're done. I wanted eight, and have been pg eight times, though I wasn't considering that when I felt that our family was complete with my last pg. Previously, I just didn't feel like everyone was here yet, and I'm not a mystic at all, but I did feel that way. Dp and I both had "missing child syndrome" that caused us both to regularly experience that panic feeling when we'd head-count, and only get to the number of children we actually had, then...
Does anyone else eat tinned salmon? We buy wild-caught sockeye and it's not cheap, really, but it does make a few meals that we can eat, and with our present restrictions, it is sometimes hard to come up with ideas, so salmon is a meal-saver for us. :) It's also very quick and requires no prior planning, which is also nice.   With it, I make salmon patties fried in lots and lots of roasted lard or goose fat. The patties have celery, green onions, black pepper,...