or Connect

Posts by sarbear

DS is 4, will be 5 in August. He currently attends a play-based co-op, but I am thinking about Montessori for Kindergarten through middle school for him. I am very familiar with Montessori, I went to a Montessori school as a kid, and I have spent a lot of time in different classrooms & schools over the years. I found a school that I really love, that I think is the most true to the philosophy in our area. My question though, is if Montessori is a good fit for DS. He,...
Thank you SO much. All of that info is awesome, I am going to look into floortime, and hopefully start that right away. You're so right, the fact that she is a twin makes it somehow sadder I think. I think of her, and how this will affect her life, but also her sister's. And I try not to compare them, but how can you not? I watched several of the videos on the Autism Speaks website last week. The videos were actually what really made me start to take this whole thing...
Hello all. It's been SO long since I have posted to MDC, but I'm coming back now to hopefully get some support and help regarding my 22month DD. She has no 'real' words (she had a couple at 12months), she has some sensory behaviors that seem odd for her age (eats everything- sunscreen, sand, soap), avoids eye contact usually, doesn't ever engage DH or I, or her siblings in any kind of play or activity, when she wants something, she communicates it by taking your hand and...
Looking for some wisdom here ladies. My twins are almost 8 months old, and I have had mastitis 4 times. I treated all 4 with antibiotics, and just finished my latest round less than 2 weeks ago. Generally the soreness starts if I go too long at night without feeding (if one sleeps more than 5 hours, and so do I), then in no time it is a full blown infection, red and very painful. Last night I woke up with one breast sore in the same spot as my last infection. It is...
I second the advice about trying to join a local moms of multiples group if you haven't already. They tend to be pretty mainstream, but you will meet mamas IRL who are or have been where you are, and they will offer you support, and hopefully help that it sounds like you could really use. Just my personal opinion, but I think you are probably an amazing mama to your beautiful girls, and that is why you have been chosen for the blessing/challenge once more
Quote: Originally Posted by phathui5 We use time-out for hurting people. They sit for the number of minutes equal to their age. Then when the time out is over we talk about what happened, they apologize to the other person and tell them that they're going to be gentle with them. sarbear, the only mom I know in real life who uses the techniques you're describing consistantly and doesn't seem to explain right from wrong (it's all about feelings) at all...
Also in the same situation here. DS is 2 1/2 and my girls are 6 months. He pinches, squeezes, tries to sit on them, etc. I just finished reading 'Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves' by Naomi Aldort. If you haven't read it already, get a copy- It really resonated with me and I think she has a lot of great GD advice. What she says about this type of thing is basically that when we say to the older child "Don't hurt the baby, etc", what they are hearing is what they...
My twins are 4 months old now, and we still swaddle every night, and for afternoon naps (mornings they go down easier). The swaddle seems to make it easier for them to fall asleep, so I am just afraid to give it up because I know there will be an adjustment period where it will take more time to get them to sleep (time that I really don't have! ) Soooo- how long is too long to swaddle???? And how do you 'wean' from it when it's time?
Quote: Originally Posted by DoulaSarah I do that my perspective is different because I am not sleep deprived at all. They usually go to bed around 7pm and don't get up until 7am. They nurse seperately, so I don't get up either. In the morning, they are usually up for 20 minutes or so. Smiles, coo's, diaper changed...then they are asleep for at least an hour or two. I get my stuff done as best as possible. Have some coffee... Okay, HOW did you do...
My girls have had it for the past couple weeks too- their brother is a new preschool attendee, so he is bringing home all sorts of bugs : Saline drops in her nose will help, then suction & if you can prop her up to sleep that helps also. And a cool mist humidifier- good luck, it's no fun I know!