or Connect

Posts by Paxjourney

I'm sort of in the same boat. I homeschool and my kids are 11.5yr and 8. The 11.5 yr old is in a program similar to a charter school and is only homeschooled part of the time. Both kids take part in a co-op all day once a week. I have 2 volunteer jobs and plan to pick up a third. I also might get a part time job for fun.
I've been a SAHM mostly for the last 13 yrs. We made the choice to pull our oldest out of public school 4 yrs ago and to homeschool which for our family has been wonderful. It has though extended my life as a SAHM. I did work for a little over a year in my profession and got my degree. I do volunteer work in my profession to keep my license current and I do plan to work part-time in the near future. The year that I worked full time I made $32K compared to DH's $120K. My...
I hope school my children but when my oldest was attending public school I worked full time as a nurse in a doctors office. For a nursing job it was very school schedule friendly with the exception of summer. In the summer my kids attended a summer day camp.   My older sister works as a para educator in her local school district and has the same days off as her kids mostly. Another friend works as a school bus driver. Another works as a para educator on a school bus.
Awesome! Husband and I are doing a no spend January. We usually budget to eat out as a family 3 times and do one monthly date night with a sitter. Also other "fun" spending (coffees out, movie rental, book purchases etc). We are taking that money this month to make an extra car payment or two. a. Who you are Homeschooling Mother of 2. b. Where you are going (your financial goals) and January goal is to make a double or triple payment on our truck loan. c. How you...
I agree with what one post wrote regarding DIBELS I don't personally think it is an appropriate gage of reading ability. One of the requirements for k-1 is the ability to read nonsense words such as Cav, zas, nel, pid etc. Most homeschooling families do not 'drill' these nonsense words yet that is a very common practice in public school.   As for the original question. My oldest daughter in 1st grade could have read that and then rolled her eyes at you and gone back to...
It depends on the season. Our Fall schedule was really busy and over scheduled. I usually just try and "protect" our mornings 3-4 days a week. I try not to commit to activities during that time, from 8-12:30p. We have one day a week we are gone all day with a formal large co-op and then I use the rest of the time for errands. We have another day when we are home in the morning from 8-12:30p but then have a smaller co-op of just a few families in the afternoon. Part of...
Totally do-able. When we started homeschooling we lived in a 840sq ft apartment. It was advertised as 900sq ft but the extra 50-60 sq ft was totally unusable entry way. :/   I turned the hall closet into our homeschooling "room" all homeschool books, educational games, crafts were stored in it. My girls shared a room and we homeschooled around our table.   One tip that I found helpful is for all educational posters I would put them on a folding tri fold poster board...
I think this is a great idea!
I'm looking forward to joining 2014 in 2014
Deep cleaned the main bathroom. Having a coffee and knit break. Next step is to do the mountain of dishes, clean the counter tops, sweep the floor and mop the kitchen.