or Connect

Posts by GinaRae

Quote: Originally Posted by mykdsmomy I guess my biggest complaint about the program is feeling like we're not doing enough because we never get it all done We're always behind and I'm always feeling pressure from the higher ups. (our teacher is very sweet but I'm starting to get the feeling even from her that we really need to step it up a bit). I would like to file our own affidavit next year but there's no way we could afford all the speech, OT,...
Great idea! I just sent a bunch of feedback. I guess I should have spaced it out, but whatev
Quote: Originally Posted by nathansmom For phonics we are using: Explode the Code McGuffey Primer and First Eclectic Reader McGuffey for spelling Spectrum's Sight words workbook Bob books For Language arts: Classic Curriculum Reading Classic Curriculum Writing library books on nouns, verbs, etc. First Lang Lessons Well-Trained Mind For art: checking out arts and crafts books and just doing crafts for the holidays. For music: We are...
Quote: Originally Posted by SFMonique anyone have a third grader doing K12 (we're CAVA) and at the "choose a novel" lesson for Literature? Is your child capable of reading most of these selections by themselves? Curious to get a feel for what's going on with others, as I found the choices long and some of them having quite sophisticated language. Not that they were too long, but that the daily reading requirements are heavy. Love to hear any...
Thanks! We're assessing out a lot on LA as you mentioned. Spelling is the same as you, etc. Very quick with GUM. Going pretty quickly with comp. A bit slower with Lit. Math he could assess out more quickly right now, but he really dislikes doing math AT ALL right now, so we don't get as many done as I'd like.
We have gmail for all of our kids (except the 2yo, obviously). I check regularly. They get no spam because their e-mails aren't published anywhere online to be "stolen". I figure e-mail's pretty normal for kids these days. My 8yo uses his to communicate with grandparents and send silly letters to me, etc. But it's rarely used.
I think you can do it too. I am using K12 and after 5 weeks I feel like we're really moving along now. I've listened to him and figured out what works and we have fewer problems every week. We deal with a busy busy toddler monster too and even with a baby coming, I think you could work it. We have SO much time in a day to get to get it done, and you don't have to run older kids around like I do! You can toss a quick lesson or three into weekends and holidays too, as long...
Boy do I feel for you!!! I'm doing okay with the animals unit and the weather unit, and will do fine with bodies and earth science and astrology because I like some of those things. I am not super motivated, but I just following the curriculum (K12 is good) and supplement with books from the library and killing 15 tadpoles . But I HATE doing most experiments and I told hubby that Chemistry is all his this December! I won't touch it with a ten foot pole if I don't have...
I think I would also work with one child at a time for a while and see if you can figure out what's working best for each. I feel for you as just having one 3rd grader newly homeschooled and a toddler tornado, it's been tough! Also, in between lessons we have a pile of books on the table from the library that we go through. Everything from picture books to lengthy history books I've marked off interesting tidbits to read to him. It seems to keep him excited and...
I haven't read the responses... My 3rd grader just left his brick and mortar public school about 5 weeks ago. I was cringing at the thought of telling the school, but his teacher and the school secretary (both who would have been quite blunt about how they feel) seemed excited for this opportunity for him. We're going through K12.com curriculum with CAVA (the California Virtual Academy) which is still a part of the CA public school system, so pergaps that mkes the...