or Connect

Posts by Claire and Boys

Quote: Originally Posted by GoBecGo The circ debate baffles me. In what other circumstance would it be ok for one of us to approach a stranger and advise them on mutilating their children's genitalia without facing SERIOUS questions from the police?
Yeah, I commented on Twitter the other day that we don't vax and within minutes someone had sent me a link to the Lancet retracting Wakefield stuff with a note "FYI" I just responded that we have MANY reasons for not vaxing, autism isn't on the list and our doctor is supportive. He shut up...
GMTV also put up a survey on their website on breastfeeding in public, looking for views. I am guessing there will be slot on this soon as well. But the questions were horribly loaded "Do you think women should expose their breasts in public to feed their children?" was just one of them. Just very negative language. Also should be mentioned that their weather segment is apparently sponsored by N*stle. I suppose considering that, it wasn't so bad. It rankled with me that...
Living in a non-circing culture where being intact seems to be a complete non-issue for men, and outside of religious groups infant circumcision is just not even thought about, I *do* find it very strange reading American message boards. People saying that intact men are all gross and stinky (well in my experience they just are not!) saying that intact boys will have lots of problems and be so hard to clean, etcetcetc. I just really wonder what planet they are on. Why it...
This has sparked a big debate here in the UK, lactivists up in arms. A midwife and breastfeeding "expert" making ridiculous and offensive claims about breastfeeding older children. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dcQc7eTJ9s
It's sad that this even has to be a headline. You'd never see one saying "Mother bottle feeds baby in court" would you? Breastfeeding is feeding a baby. It's normal. Had she let her baby fuss it have been far more of a disruption to the proceedings. Why does this provoke shock?
Quote: Originally Posted by crunchy_mommy This is not the same thing. If you go into a restaurant, yes you are expected to buy food if you sit at a table. If you go into a fitting room, you have no obligation to buy clothing. I had friends when I was younger who would just go try on clothes for fun. There is nothing stating that if you go into a fitting room you must plan on buying the item if it fits. Many people also use fitting rooms to change diapers...
Quote: Originally Posted by Meredith&Alexander And I'm offended by the "no nursing mothers could fit in/wear Hollister clothes anyway" attitude. It just feeds the stereotype that BFing means you have to be overweight and frumpy, and can't possibly be slim and wear fashionable clothes. I'm glad you said that. I was also a bit to read that comment.
80% refers to adult American males. The infant rate is nearer 50/50. So the author took one set of unrelated figures and applied them to something else in order to strengthen his argument. Pathetic.
I hope that by now you are back at home and baby is doing ok. We were right there 2 years ago, although my ds was older, but he was also in the icu fighting RSV, and they took him off all feeds, saying that his lungs needed as much space as possible so his stomach needed to be empty. I pumped and pumped but my milk also started to decrease, probably partly because pumping is not as efficient as a baby and partly due to all the stress of having such a sick baby. It's a...