or Connect

Posts by hubris

We put everything we possibly can in glass or plastic containers (moving toward all glass). Quote: Originally Posted by lilyka another way to do avacodos - remove the pit and place them cut side down in the tupperware/glass container. this will keep air from getting to it. Exactly what I was going to say. Just leave the skin on the uneaten half and put it face down! I believe the browning is from oxidization of the exposed fruit (like with...
Sounds like you now know exactly what kinds of games she'd like at a shower for her! Since this is a shower celebrating your family, not hers, I hope she'll be more open to listening to your preferences. Maybe you could say something like "you know, most of the people we'd like to invite are just not big *shower games* people. Why don't we keep it casual, skip the games? That would be so much easier for YOU, too!" If she insists on games, would she be willing to...
Quote: Originally Posted by MsElle07 Really, THE KEY, IMO, is birthing on your terms, off your sacrum, in a non-hospital setting. absolutely! I had two normal-headed posterior babies in hospital that "required" vacuum assistance and then one huge-headed babe gently birthed without so much as one forceful push, at home. The MW commented that his head could've been on a baby twice as big. Believe in yourself, mama! And believe that your...
I would probably use the snugli and the mei tai - snugli the baby on front first, then mei tai the toddler on your back. I've done that with 2 mei tais with an infant and a toddler and it worked pretty well. I felt very balanced with two two-shoulder carriers. I think I tried a MT/pouch sling combo at some point and hated it, it was unbalanced and I worried about them bumping each other.
We often give books, which can be as cheap or as expensive as you like. I like the dress-up clothes idea. You could hit a thrift store for that, or eve mine your own closet. If you're craft you could create some items. More crafty stuff: sew a stuffed animal. Maybe your child could help with the design process? I think bug jars are relatively inexpensive and lots of fun.
I think some kids are just bigger oral explorers and really like to chew or feel things in their mouths. My just-turned-3 y/o is like this. My 5.5 y/o never put anything in his mouth after around age 2.5 but the 3 y/o loves to stuff his mouth full of things, bite my bedspread, lick me, nip my pants leg, etc. You might redirect him to something appropriate to chew. Maybe say something like "hmm, you seem to want to chew something. Would you like to bite a carrot?" or...
I wore a big baggy t-shirt for the births of DS1 and DS2. I knew it was possible that I'd want to be naked, but as it turned out, it didn't occur to me to remove the shirt. I arrived at the hospital in the baggy tee and sweatpants and just shed the pants (wasn't wearing a bra either time). Very easy. For DS3 I was at home, labored in the yoga pants / tee I had been wearing earlier, then stripped down to nothing to get into my tub and birthed DS3 there.
I think your own health and your baby's well-being come before a shower, no matter how many days or weeks or months pre-or-post partum the shower is scheduled. What I would say is that you're hoping to attend but that you cannot give a definite yay or nay response at this moment, and that you appreciate the rest of the family's understanding your needing to play things by ear. Then when it's time for the shower, THEN you decide. There's just no way to predict...
My #1 reason was so that I could give birth normally without being interfered with by people who don't trust in a woman's ability to give birth. Nobody telling me that they "need" to get an EFM strip. Nobody telling me when to push, or how. Nobody cajoling me into positions for pushing that don't work for my body. I agree with the sentiment that you should not be put in a position of defending your choices. If other people are uncomfortable with your choices, it...
Taking the approach that discipline is really teaching, and that being gentle means being respectful, yes, I absolutely think we can "use" GD on grandparents!! The book NonViolent Communication can be helpful for figuring out some of this stuff. We have done a lot of trying to use peaceful communication with our own parents. In addition to that, some of the other things we do for our children are helpful with others - we can model the way we wish to parent for our own...