or Connect

Posts by hubris

Good for you for sticking to your principles! It feels good to handle a tough situation in a way that you feel peace with. It's hard not to feel shame when other people are watching, even when we know it doesn't really matter what they think. Quote: Originally Posted by moonyoungi If I understand this right, reward/punishment would be more like: "You can have cookies if you stop." or "If you don't stop, you cannot come to this park for 2...
I think it depends on how you phrase it and how you follow through. I try not to say "we have to do this before we can do that" but instead just list what I'm planning to do, or say "let's"... - "Let's put on shoes and head to the car." - "I'll be ready to play the game after we clean the room." - "Let's clean up the room so we have more space to play." - "Ok, so our game plan is to clean up, then take baths, then watch a video!" I tend to be flexible with some of the...
We have subscriptions to Ladybug and Click (from the Cricket family of magazines, like Spider and Ask) and LOVE them. Recently we were gifted subs from two of the Ranger Rick mags (Your Big Backyard & Wild Animal Baby) and they're both nice. I like the Cricket mags a little better for content but the RR mags are also great. DS1 was gifted a NG Little Kids sub a while back and I was really uncomfortable with it. They wouldn't let me cancel the sub (?!?) or transfer...
Another 3 y/o BOY here, so Heather isn't alone. DS2 just turned 3 and while so many things are getting easier, there are new challenges as well. I also have an infant - DS3 is 6 mos old - and honestly most days I'm barely capable of putting a sentence together, much less parenting creatively and gently! I'm striving for something between unconditional parenting and consensual living but it is HARD when you a) didn't start out parenting that way, b) aren't wired /...
Re: birth control - I think what I'd say is some version of this (more or less complex to meet the needs of the particular child): Because it takes a sperm and an egg and a nice place to grow to make a baby, women and men can prevent a baby from growing by... - watching the woman's body for signs (temperature, cervical mucus, etc) that she is getting ready to release an egg, and only having sex at times when her body is NOT about to release an egg (fertility awareness) -...
Quote: Originally Posted by littleaugustbaby there's nothing shameful about the truth...it's biology. Exactly! Would your DH object to your telling your child about how digestion works, or how plants grow? I second the recommendation for "It's Not the Stork!" - We have the slightly more involved version of the book, "It's So Amazing!" and have really enjoyed it. There are also a lot of threads around here discussing various ways of...
Would it help you to feel better if you checked the boy's scalp yourself? You could ask him if you may (respecting his answer, of course). He might just let you give him a look-over, and then you could see for yourself whether or not he has any nits. Re: his exposure - lice aren't like a virus. He either has eggs/lice on his body or he doesn't. If he doesn't, he can't infect your child. DS1's class had a lice alert this past year. It turns out that ONE child (a...
I agree that anger is probably not productive. Your expectations are reasonable but it sounds like that mother doesn't share those expectations, so if your DS plays at her house in the future, a convo of some sort is in order. Maybe you could simply leave his booster for him in the future and say "if you guys go anywhere, please use his booster - he's not old enough/heavy enough/tall enough yet to legally ride without one" and leave it at that? Re: giving up the right...
I'm sorry that family members are trying to involve you when you don't want to be involved. It's ok to set limits. Have you read NonViolent Communication? I think it might help you in figuring out how to validate your parents without taking sides. They're hurting and need somebody to recognize that without necessarily assigning blame to your brother. I would be deeply hurt to find out that a message I sent to a parent was getting forwarded around the family. I hope...
Quote: Originally Posted by possum - I retell all my funniest stories, again and again and again Recycling at its finest! Quote: - I am letting the trunk of my Christmas tree (my son's first) cure to make tree blocks out of. Very cool! What do you do to cure it? Quote: - The sleeves of shirts and legs of pants that are no longer able to be worn make great bags I love this, too. Thanks for the...