or Connect

Posts by hubris

Another suggestion: instead of talking up the cons of epidurals, talk up the pros of unmedicated birth. Talk about what you'll be able to do/feel and how that can benefit your labor/birth. Mothering has an article about The hormonal blueprint of labor. If you look here you'll find links to a ton of articles, including one about the risks of epidurals and another about the benefits of being off your back.
You mentioned that she's athletic/fit. Is she currently involved in any pregnancy-oriented fitness classes? I took prenatal yoga while pg with DS3 and it was wonderful. I felt gorgeous. It was neat to see the many different shapes of the women in my class, and to feel strong.
DS2 and DS3 both did that. I believe it was their tiny little hands scrabbling way down low, or pushing the crown of their head against my cervix. OUCH!
Quote: Originally Posted by Sparks* I think predators are going to be predators whether your kid has clothes on or not. I personally would not want to give my 4 year old daughter a complex about her body just because of the off chance a pervert might be around. I agree with this. There seems to be a set of assumptions here: - that predators could be watching your child at any time - that their act of watching poses an actual threat to the...
We own two Dutailer gliders and ottomans. Neither reclines, since that wasn't something that I found to be important. One has a locking mechanism and honestly, I think it's annoying. I love both gliders other than that (loving the first was the reason we ended up with a second).
We have a temporal scan thermometer and LOVE it. I saw it at the ped's office and thought it was genius, did a little research, determined that it was accurate, and bought one. I almost never took a temp before that, now it's nice that I can quickly and easily get one for my own info when I suspect a fever or want to keep tabs on one. None of the kids fight it at all, and you can even scan a sleeping child. So, so easy. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavenly It makes your DH uncomfortable for her to be without a shirt. So why can't she wear a shirt? It doesn't really matter to you either way, but it matters to him. He is just as much her parent as you are and if it makes him uncomfortable to think of some possible pervert looking at his little girl without a shirt on then you should respect that. I think adults have a responsibility to question their...
For me, cleaning or gardening are meditation. I really cherish alone time and usually do one of those when DH takes the kids out of the house. The quiet and repetitive task allows me to get lost in thoughts inside, while outside I'm restoring order to my physical environment. Physical order leads to mental/emotional order for me.
Situation #1: I would have validated my child's feelings, talked about how she feels, and asked if there were some way that I could help her. In my DS1's case, that probably would have involved my supporting him while he approached the older children and let them know how he felt when they said that. #2: validated Susie's annoyance, explained her annoyance to my child, and maybe see if I can support them in finding a mutually agreeable solution. What did you do?...
Zero so far. We've not done any summer camps yet but I *might* sign DS1 and DS2 (5 and 3) up for 1 or 2 weeks of our preschool's summer camp program. We'll have a weekly standing playdate at local playgrounds with friends from the preschool and will also have other spur of the moment get-togethers (lots of nature hikes, probably) with that group. I don't think it's selfish at all not to have umpteen million organized activities for your child to do. Actually, to...