or Connect

Posts by hubris

A wrap might be just what you need. It's very comfortable for long-term babywearing. www.thebabywearer.com has a whole page of links to directions (with photos!) for different ways of wrapping a baby. You could do it with a wrap you buy or you could just buy fabric to use as a wrap. The folks at TBW would have good advice on what types of fabric are most comfortable for wrapping - typically you want something lightweight (so you're comfortable) but woven and not too...
Quote: Originally Posted by mom2-3 I love the Birth Book and the Baby Book. I have given the Baby Book away to several expectant Mama's and they always come back to me to tell me what a great resource it has been for them! Good point about The Baby Book! It's a FABULOUS gift for somebody who would otherwise be reading things like What to Expect the First Year, or Babywise, etc. I've given it to several friends and I feel like it introduced...
Quote: Originally Posted by Rikki Jean I might try this approach, considering mw told me that I could drink as much as I wanted to. What are your measurments on the water and tea leaves? I use the pregnancy tea blend from www.blessedherbs.com. What I do: 1. Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil, remove from heat. 2. Add 1 heaping cup of the pregnancy tea blend to the water. 3. Add 1/8 to 1/4 cup each of dried peppermint and rosehips (depends...
It's absolutely ok to have had dreams of mothering a daughter, and it's absolutely OK to mourn the loss of that dream right now. Neither of those things has anything to do with how much you will love and cherish your son. I also always saw myself mothering a daughter. My maternal grandmother was the oldest child in her family. My mother was the oldest in her family. I'm the oldest in my family. So in this long line of oldest-child females, I had always pictured...
I agree that the fear of punishment was probably a big factor there. Would your friend be open to the idea of using times like this as a teachable moment, instead of as a bad deed to be punished? One thing she could have done is sit down with her children, told them what she knew, and asked them "what do you think we can do to make this better?" and "what could have been done differently?" Involving them in solving a problem instead of punishing them for doing something...
My 2 y/o DS2 has also recently been more reluctant to jump into the action. Visiting play areas or playgrounds during really busy times is worse - he seems to get a little overwhelmed by all the children and the noise. Pushing or cajoling doesn't help, it makes him shut down. So I just let him take his time. If he wants cuddles, cool. If he wants to stand and watch, ok. Whatever he needs. At some point it's like a switch gets flipped and suddenly he's running all...
I think some of the above replies are a little harsh. Many parents feel confused about how to respond to babies, especially if they're being told by other people (or society at large) that babies are crying to "manipulate" parents or that we have to teach them to be more "independent", etc. To the OP, it's absolutely true that crying is the way 9 month olds communicate their needs. When you respond to his crying, you're teaching him that he has the ability to tell you...
Quote: Originally Posted by klg47 Do you know the reasoning for diluting it? I would think that your body wouldn't really care if you drink strong tea followed by a glass of plain water versus drinking a diluted tea. I'm more likely to finish my tea if it's strong and I can just get it done with. Also, online sources vary widely on how much herb you are supposed to use per cup of water. I've seen anywhere from 1 teaspoon to three for your...
I think it's a perfect choice for giving a balanced perspective to somebody who isn't really crunchy. Bill & Martha Sears are very accessible to mainstream folks, in general, they're good ambassadors to help people cross over to the other side. I recommend that book to people for the chapter about pain - it does a great job discussing the issues facing women in our society re: pain and fear and I think that chapter alone can open minds. I just glanced over the birth...
I just love the "feelings" of people who aren't carrying the baby inside their body. Sheesh. That said, my husband said he knew that our first child was a son when I told him I was pregnant. I'm unconvinced, but whatever, he likes thinking he knew. I think it's really cool that many women seem to have some sort of intuition about the sex of their own baby. I've never had an ounce of intuition about it, though. Nada.