or Connect

Posts by sagira

We enjoy using Building Foundations of Scientific Understanding, because it fits with our Charlotte Mason way of exploring in nature, learning from books and things. Nature Studies and this book together with living books are our ideal way of learning Science.
Hello there. I'm pregnant with my third (!!!) child and nursing my 2-year-old. She'll be three late July. When I was pregnant with her, I was nursing my then three-year-old too. I nursed him until he was 3 1/2. After that he weaned himself. The last day he nursed was when I was nursing my precious little baby girl and he was just a day before 4 years old. He nursed for the last time that day. After he did, he said he was done. He was grown up. He doesn't remember a...
Hi there. I was very active 7 years ago or so (has it been that long???) and I haven't been around in a year or two. Or three Here I am.. 4 weeks pregnant with number 3. Still trying to process, as this is a complete surprise. Not planned. I was done. But I digress.. I'm starting to get excited about it, and reaching out, and I remember how much I enjoyed Mothering. Baby is due February 6. Found out yesterday. Peed on the stick, in a nanosecond blue lines...
As a person who reads dozens of dog books just for fun, I love Patricia McConnell's books. I just bought The Puppy Primer and I own Family Friendly Dog Training. I wanted to recommend one more: The Puppy Whisperer by Paul Owens. He's great, and this book is the best IMO for raising a puppy. We already put a deposit down for our puppy (from a reputable breeder -- asked all the right questions) and we'll have our new puppy with us sometime late Winter or early Spring. Good...
I disagree with this: "Don't buy over the internet, any breeder who is willing to take a credit card and ship a dog is not a reputable breeder." The breeder we're getting our puppy from, after screening breeders and lots of research has maintained excellent communication with me for a year now, asked me many questions, gave me references, runs all the genetic tests, prices reasonably and breeds only 1-2 litters a year, does want to keep in touch with me and know that...
Like the PP said, I think diving in and confronting your problem areas is how you grow and learn. I found out when I had children that I get impatient with children 2 and older. Go figure. Well, being a homeschooler now of a five-year-old and dealing with a two-year-old at the same time gives me LOTS of practice in handling my impatience. And you know what? I'm getting better and better at it and learning so much. If I sent my boy to public/private school I probably...
I love Tanglewood. I bought the Corebook, Nature Notebook and Book of Centuries. The corebook has been amazing. I love keeping notes and organizing my whole year (so far just Kindergarten). I use the Create-Your-Own-Curriculum feature of Tanglewood and piece together my own. I love the structure it provides at the same time as I love the freedom. That said, the books recommendations are fantastic and I expect that by the time we reach Seventh Grade we will have a good...
HS is default here -- we're having too much fun, we love the freedom and ds is blossoming into a curious, book-loving, independent thinker. And I have an excuse to read lots and lots of books and participate in learning with my two kids -- yay! :
Thanks for posting this, kalamazoo. I'm so sorry about your son -- that must have been so scary I also appreciate your open-mindedness and listening in spite of your natural (and very understandable and justified!) consternation at your dog for having hurt your child. I also admire your commitment to working with this dog (and child) to resolve this problem. Kudos to you! I've been waiting to get a dog again for years now -- this year it will be five years. We've...
I say a Portuguese Water Dog from a quality PWD rescue.