or Connect

Posts by sarahr

I have had it with my two year old, and need some ideas to change my approach.   When he's upset with something -- i.e. it's raining out and he doesn't want it to be raining -- he whines and yells and screams at  me to change it. It's of course worse when he's tired, but he has these tantrums/meltdowns even when he's well rested. I try to walk away from him when he's like this, but it's really hard to disengage. I'd love ideas of how to get him down from the...
My DS -- just about to turn 2 -- is having surgery next week, and I have some questions that I hope you attached mamas can answer   First, no food or drink 8 hours before the surgery. He's still nursing, although I'm not sure how much milk he actually gets. Can I still nurse him in the morning? (we have to be at the hospital at 5:30, surgery is scheduled for 7:30). I don't want to ask them that, because I don't really want to deal with the strange looks that go along...
Thanks for posting to the blog with all the breastfeeding episodes. I especially loved the close-up of nursing in the "you're my baby" song.
Sigh. She did it again today. 4 times. And we're only talking about a 45 minute period. The last time she got sent to the principal's office, which made her very, very unhappy.   DH thinks she needs some sort of punishment, like not being able to go outside, which is what they do immediately after rest time. (The schedule is outside time, lunch time, rest time, more outside time -- so it's not like rest time comes after too much structure).   What do you all...
I don't think any of the kids actually sleep and it's only 45 minutes or so. There's a book on tape playing the whole time. So I don't think she's bored; or if she is bored, there's nothing that can be done (while still being respectful of the class's routine).   She's been wiggly the whole year, and so they've already moved her into a corner, as far from the others as possible. No one has a problem with her being wiggly.  
DD is 5, and in pre-k at a small, wonderfully nurturing school. She loves school and comes home glowing each day. After lunch, they have a quiet time each day -- each kid is expected to lie down on individual mats and be quiet. The lights are off and they put on a book on tape. Starting last week (so many months into the school year), dd just randomly starts screaming. One of the teachers will pull her out of the room (screaming is obviously disruptive to the other kids)...
Was this unusual or typical? Especially since it happened at dinnertime, he didn't eat, and then was fine when you started your bedtime routine, he sounds like he was way overtired. The only thing possible to do is get a quick snack into him (if he'll take it), put him to bed, and then make dinner afterwards. Of course, that's not always possible, and when it's not, you just deal with it until you can put him to bed.
We are quite rigid about the routine -- and if I forget a step, DS (almost 2) is quick to remind me!   Eat dinner around 5:30. Play some after dinner, depending on how long dinner lasts and how late his nap was. Go upstairs around 6:15 to brush teeth and put pajamas on. Usually some playing around with his sister, who is also getting ready for bed. Then read books -- exactly 3, he complains if it's more or less, nurse with the light out, and go into his crib. It's...
My dd (age 5) moves very, very slowly in the morning and is a particularly slow eater. Her most frequent breakfast choices are dry cereal and toast with butter, but she doesn't have time to eat anywhere close to a reasonable quantity before it's time to go. She can't take food with her, as eating isn't allowed on the bus, and we can't build in more time for breakfast because we're already waking her up earlier than she'd like (and putting her to bed as early as we...
When you're back to a point when he's willing to use public bathrooms, make sure to block the auto-flush. I know people who carry post-it notes to put over the sensor; I'm not that organized, so I just stand there blocking it with my hand. I don't let it flush until dd is safely out of the stall.