or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by babylove2007

I second that on a birth plan, but hospitals often ignore those. I kept saying I wanted to exclusively breastfeed but was told that bottles (of Similac Advance with Iron, which I'm convinced contributed to his milk allergy and reflux) were required because "it's this or a starving baby." I was looked at as if I had 2 heads and a tail when I said I wanted to nurse exclusively and was told that most exclusively breastfed c-section babies end up in the hospital dehydrated...
Wow, that's exactly what I was told by the pediatric nurses at our hospital--"no such thing as nipple confusion so just give him a bottle"--only to be followed by almost 6 weeks of working out his....nipple confusion! I wrote them a letter: I wanted to comment on your article on nipple confusion being "a myth." I'm happy for the 82% of women who didn't experience it, but I am part of the other 18% (not insignificant by the way). I wish you had been at my house for...
The word "breast" doesn't make it through net-nanny filters. My mom is also a high school teacher and she tried to research "breast cancer" and it got blocked; also when I had emailed her about breastfeeding, she never got the email.
Wow, that chart has him growing from the 50th percentile at birth to the 80th now (of course I had to convert lbs to kg so it's a guesstimate). The doctors have him in the 10th.
Quote: Originally Posted by elanorh My Ped, who is otherwise very pro-BF and has good bf-friendly advice (including how to do an effective elimination diet with a food-allergic babe) -- also doesn't believe in Nipple Confusion. The nurses at the hospital here don't believe it either (well if Ped 1 is dismissing it, and probably Ped 2 - why would they believe in it)? ? This is what baffles me. How can they "not believe in" something that's a...
They weren't recommending cereal to keep it down, just to make him "catch up" in weight. They are concerned that he had 2 weeks where he didn't really gain, so now I think they want to artificially bulk him up ("bulk him up" was the term they used) by adding calories to the BM. An IBCLC told me that if you take omega-3 capsules it increases the caloric content of the BM--anyone heard that? She was in agreement that he's too young for solids. The pediatric GI...
They told me that at his current weight, he can still only have 7.5 ml of Prevacid. They are now saying that if rice cereal isn't agreeing with him, we should give oatmeal. The thing is, he has previously gained weight on my milk. The reason he isn't gaining is that he had been REFUSING feedings, and no amount of cereal will make him take a feeding that he is refusing. When he takes the full amount of oz (and according to a baby scale this morning, he took 4.6 oz in 45...
I will try to rally folks around here and will keep you ladies posted!
Quote: You say that you are pumping to keep your supply up (that's great!) "on the days he has his fits and won't eat." Are there days when he won't take the breast, or days when he won't eat at all by any source (cup, bottle etc)? Is this why your ped is worried about his weight? Does his special need keep him from nursing? That must be frustrating for you. On the days when he doesn't eat, does he still pee enough? There are days--becoming less...
He's 3 months today. To help supply, on the days he has his fits and won't eat, I pump every missed feeding and get a fair amount usually. I'm also drinking tons of water and eating oatmeal and taking sesame seeds 1-2X daily. On good days, he has been cluster-feeding a LOT (every hour 3 hours in a row this morning, and a lot in evenings too). I would think that would help him catch-up too??
New Posts  All Forums: