or Connect

Posts by AnnaReilly

I have no experience with a divorce of my own, but I can tell you about my experience as a child. My parents were "together" in the sense that they weren't divorced (and they are still technically married although they haven't lived under the same roof in well over a decade) but they were never really together as long as I can remember. They didn't fight all that much but I could always tell that they didn't really love each other. They made each other miserable. I...
DH and I have both changed, but we've kind of changed together. When we started dating I was hard-core Christian and he was mostly-Christian-with-doubts, I guess. At first I was very adament that my views were right. He wasn't as passionate about religion as I was so he just kind of let me do my thing and kept his mouth shut. Then I started questioning things on my own and we would have a lot of philosophical and theological discussions together. He's always been...
oh boy.... No. My (extended) families do not share my beliefs. In fact, I'm pretty sure they think I'm going to hell. I was raised Christian, and was a very active, believing Christian for many years, but am now pagan. DH's beliefs are fairly similar to mine although I would probably call him an agnostic if I had to pick a name. We have not officially "come out" to our Christian families, although we've been dropping a LOT of hints and go to a UU society so I think...
That's so sad.... It really stinks when you do your best to help someone and they don't make an effort back. But you can't help those who won't help themselves...
Being a pantheist, I believe that prayers end up in the same place so it doesn't really matter to whom they are initially addressed. Therefore, I am not offended when people offer to pray for me in a loving manner. What does irk me is when I have a difference of opinion with someone else (re: religion) and they say, "Well, I'll pray for you," in the most condescending tone they can muster. To say that they are praying for my "eyes to be opened" or to "see the light"...
Quote: Originally Posted by DaryLLL AnnaReilly, I don't attend church, but otherwise we are kind of on the same page. It is a hard place to be. People on either side don't like you. Kind of like how people of mixed race or bisexual orientation describe their experience.
Cute! My DD is the same way, if she can see nipples she's gotta have 'em! I'll get out of the shower and she'll just *stare* at my nipples - talk about being looked at like a piece of meat! LOL
Quote: Originally Posted by DebraBaker The other thing I hate is people either assume you're wealthy (because the husband can affort a kept woman) or dirt poor (because who can live on one income) ARgh! That drives me nuts!!!! We don't happen to have much money and if that ever comes up people immediately suggest I WOHM (I WAH part-time right now.) I then proceed to tell them about the gas money I will need to get to my OH job, the money I will...
I attend a Unitarian Universalist society and would call myself a pantheistic, mystical, eclectic pagan. How's that for a mouthful? More info: Unitarian Universalist Association website: http://www.uua.org/ Pantheism, as defined by Merriam-Webster 1 : a doctrine that equates God with the forces and laws of the universe 2 : the worship of all gods of different creeds, cults, or peoples indifferently Mysticism, as defined by Merriam-Webster 2 : the belief...
Twig is a terrific book! So is Caddie Woodlawn. And I second anything by Katherine Patterson. (Personally though, I would not do Tiger Eyes by Judy Bloom. The main character has her first sexual experience in the book and it might be a bit mature for most 8-12 year olds.)