or Connect

Posts by cyclemama

I have a parent-teacher conference coming up for my 5th grader. The teacher has encouraged the students to attend the conference with their parents. This is not a "share your work" kinda a conference, but rather just a regular conference. I don't have any great concerns about my child and can't think of anything I would need to discuss in private with the teacher at this time. However, I am a little concerned that the teacher herself might be less than candid about things...
I have three kids at an elementary school on our district's "alternate" calendar. The summer break is shortened to about 5 or 6 weeks, with the remaining time off scattered throughout the year. The kids love all the breaks throughout the year, and the summer vacation is short enough that they don't get bored. I think it really is a great schedule for the kids. However, it does present some day care problems. It's a challenge to figure out child care for that week off in...
Thank you for the replies. DH ended up taking the boys to the John Hancock building and then walking around Michigan Avenue. The boys said the top of the Hancock building was spectacular at night, and there was very little wait. They had to skip Gino's b/c one of our boys is highly allergic to dairy, so they settled for a sandwich shop. The boys thought riding the subway was very cool and they can't wait to show me the map they got!   Cyclemama
DH is taking our two boys (7yo and 9yo) abroad to visit relatives. Their evening flight into Chicago got canceled so they got moved to an afternoon flight. So they will now have a 10-hour layover in Chicago on a Saturday from 3 p.m. to 1 a.m.  Any ideas for things to do in Chicago during that time? It seems all the museums in downtown close at 5 or so on Saturdays, so that's not an option. DH is thinking about taking them downtown via the subway to the John Hancock...
Does anyone have any experience with the Groundswell CSA that has a Grand Rapids drop off point? Are the weekly shares big enough to split with a friend? Is there a good variety of vegetables other than greens? I'm interested in joining for 2011 but looking for input first. Cyclemama
Quote: Originally Posted by eco_mama Oh you know what? I don't buy this for one second! I mean, seriously. He has never been in the bottom and was praised yet again, for his douchey theatrical performance, so why would he be in the bottom this week? He's just trying to say this because he realized how stupid and presumptuous he looked. I don't think Adam himself is saying anything about the situation. Right now, people are just trying to glean...
Quote: Originally Posted by MichaelsSahm I completely disagree with everyone that says Adam is not genuine. Yes, I don't quite get it either. Could someone explain? Do you think he's lying when he says he likes to play dress up? Or when he says he likes Michael Jackson and Madonna? Do you think he's insincere when he thanks the judges for their comments and the band for their arrangements? Do you think he's defined by his nailpolish and...
Adam's singing was great. But he looked so stiff in that suit. He looked like he was purposefully restraining himself from any hand gestures or body movements. Even during the judges' comments, his face was so deadpan and subdued. He no longer looks embarrassed by Paula's gushing or humbled by Simon's praise. Perhaps it's all getting a little old. And for disco night I was so hoping to see him strut around the stage ... since he's the only contestant who does that well....
I'm feeling rather sad for my DS, who is in first grade. For most of his life he has been best buddies with a little boy down the street who attends the same school. The buddy ("B") has recently become very enthusiastic about Star Wars, which DS has no interest in. During school recess, B plays Star Wars games (chasing, pretend fighting games) with a bunch of classmates. DS isn't really interested in playing Star Wars, but really wants to play with B. But B refuses. One...
Could you suggest a "no-toy" rule? Maybe pitch it as being more educational. My kids' school has a no-toy rule, and my kids just love sharing day. I remember one day my 4 yo was so excited about a broken clock one of his classmates brought for sharing. There is always so much discussion about the items. But I can't imagine any kind of interesting or enriching conversation arising about a Barbie doll.