or Connect

Posts by USAmma

I make no apologies about sharing my knowledge and experience. Pertussis is something I have seen a lot of, but as I said I usually see the sickest of the sick. We often get the brought in with these symptoms. There have been deaths and it scares the you-know-what out of me to see a kid that sick. When I get them, they are tired, cannot eat (thus cannot take any meds except by IV), are dehydrated, and need oxygen, deep suctioning, and sometimes intubation because they...
 Yes you are right. I guess that's why we count on "herd immunity." And it's also not well known that the pertussis vaccine does not always work very well. It's good to get titres. I wish more people would do that-- whether they vaccinate or not. 
I am not going to add any debate because I am on the other side of the fence from you. I am here to offer support for your child who has pertussis. I am glad you took him to the doctor and got the antibiotics. I am a peds RN and I work on a floor where most of the pertussis babies are sent. The antibiotics will stop the bacteria from multiplying, however they release a toxin that stays in the airway for up to three months (thus the name 100 day cough). The toxins will...
Very beautiful and very sad at the same time.
That is interesting! I was kinda like her but didn't get as far as she did with not vaccinating. The difference was a trip to India (my dh is from there) and seeing the victims of polio on the streets. And hearing stories from my mother in law about the horrors of losing loved ones, family members, and playmates to things that are now mostly preventable with vaccines. I also listened to my child's doctor and felt I was doing the right thing. So my first child was fully...
It's hard when you all live together. If you are breastfeeding this is probably the best protection for the baby. Otherwise it's really very hard to control that-- and probably the germs are already everywhere and baby is exposed since most people shed the virus or bacteria before they show signs of being sick. I am a peds nurse and I work on a floor with kids who have respiratory sickness. We currently have lots of flu cases, rhinovirus, adenovirus, and sometimes...
As long as they don't interfere in milk supply or nursing, i don't see a problem with them at all. I had a finger-sucker and a paci baby. Sucking, of course, calms babies. It also helps with reflux, and it develops oral muscles used later for speech and chewing. I was grateful, when driving down a freeway with a crying baby in the back seat, that they had either their fingers or their paci to soothe them.  My second dd was a tube-feeder for many years. Her pacis helped...
 When I take a shower and the water runs cold in just a few minutes, I shout out angrily that whoever has just turned on the dishwasher or the washing machine needs to turn it off right now!
 That's great! You have taught your kids well! My dd1 used her original Dickies backpack for Kinder through 6th grade. She still uses it for sleepovers but Jr. High demanded a bigger backpack. That says something for high quality products. And I would love to take your veggies off your hands if you lived closer.
Sometimes when I make a mistake in real life my first urge is to push the "back" or "undo" button. And there isn't one!