or Connect

Posts by happydog

Is there any valid reason against pressure canning stock/bone broth?  I've asked several of the large blog writers why they advise against canning it, and the only reason they give is "because it wasn't traditionally done."  Once in a while someone will say it's because it destroys the broth's gelling qualities.  But my canned broth gels exactly the same as non canned so I have to wonder where that information comes from.   We've been following a traditional food diet...
 That's it.  I'm going to try giving him more focused attention and see if it helps.  Thanks!
The thing with ODD that I found with my older daughter, and now my son, is that it responds very well to the ADHD medication.  His hyperactivity is totally gone now, but I still have to give him the medication on school days or the other kids can't stand him.   He does stuff like showing off his chewed up food in the lunchroom or repeating "thank you Joey farts" over and over until poor Joey complains to the teacher.  HE thinks it's funny but he can't see that the other...
hmm, that's interesting.  I'll give that some thought.  It also could be that I'm having flashbacks and over reacting.  I'm also 55 and menopausal and short-fused myself these days.   The thing is, he carries it to the extreme where it ends up with anger on both sides.  If I say no, there are no chickens in the bathroom sink, he'll say "but you SAID" and he carries on arguing about it just to argue.  If I withdraw, hoping to avert a blowup, (and so I can continue to...
First the good news.  I took my 6yo off gluten 5 months ago.  That one simple change has completely eliminated the hyperactivity and reduced his autism symptoms by roughly 80%.  Last week we noticed that the screaming, inconsolable meltdowns he's always had, have stopped entirely.  Now if he gets frustrated or has a problem, instead of throwing a 5 star meltdown he just cries or asks for help like a normal kid.   But as his ADHD/autism symptoms improve we're noticing a...
 ^^^^ This.  I noticed 22 years ago that my infant refused eye contact.  When I tried to initiate eye contact she very obviously turned her head to avoid it.  I had no idea what that meant, until probably 8 years later when I read it somewhere and remembered vividly how dismayed I felt with my baby.  Like she didn't WANT to bond with me.  This should be part of every screening.
We got the chocolate fclo plus butter oil because it was on sale.  It's pretty bad but if you keep it refrigerated and just scoop it out and swallow like a pill, it's tolerable.  I get my kids to take it by offering a small spoonful of honey or sunbutter as a reward.  Basically I bribe them.  :)  My 11yo hates it, but the 6yo actually asks to take it now.  The flavor does sort of grow on you.   You can look on amazon and read reviews for all the different flavors.
My youngest biological daughter was diagnosed with autism in 1993. She was part of the first wave of autistic children. I had a lot of mercury fillings put in before I got pregant. And she was fully vaxxed in infancy. My sister had twins and one of them nearly died of brain swelling after an immunization. To this day he's considered "slow" and he's always lagged behind his twin. I am VERY aware of the dangers of injecting foreign substances directly into a baby's...
Thanks Kathy.  I pulled up the school requirements for my state.  According to the NC website they only require 1 dose of varicella. (unless it's recently changed.)  He's already had one dose.  Apparently I didn't make it clear to the nurse, I'm not interested in doing everything they recommend.  I'm only doing the minimum required.  So I can skip the varicella and just get MMR.    From what I've read - titers only measure exposure, not immunity.  Is that right?  And...
I compared the ingredients in Kinrix and Daptacel.  Kinrix has twice the aluminum and much more formaldahyde.  Is there a stand alone IPV that is relatively benign?  Or is there a Dtap with polio that's better than Kinrix?   On the one hand I think what's one more shot?  He's already done all the required shots, what's one more?  On the other hand, how much more can his immune system take before it's too much?  I don't know.   Sheesh, it seems dumb to file an...