or Connect

Posts by Blueena

I think its perfectly reasonable to want your eight year old to sleep in his bed.  When our eight year old comes to our bed, we take him by the hand, take him back to bed, tuck him in, kiss him goodnight and we leave.  (we have two other kids, a 1 year old we are co sleeping with, so our bed is not an option) and really little by little he stopped coming.  We do cuddle with him at bedtime, read, we talk, its a good 35 minutes of one of us just with him and we remind him...
My son and daughter's school uses for example my son is 2A-20, 2 being grade, A being which second grade and 20 is his number.  I am not sure why they give him a number, but everything is labeled 2A-20 and his cubby is and when they line up they line up in number order so the teacher can tell right away who is missing.  It used to bother me, but it doesn't bother him and everyone knows his name, but I guess for logistics and not having to reinvent the wheel each year...
I know that for my son he had specials once a day, for 50 minutes, art, music, two days of PE and one day of computers.  I didn't know how lucky we are, here in Florida school sizes are capped K-3 at 18, 3-6 at 22 and higher grades at 24.  If a new kid shows up in January and a class has 19, they have to add a teacher.   He goes to the library once a week, it has a librarian and its a pretty nice sized library.  The librarian works with the teachers so that she knows...
have you looked at Learning Gate Community School?  Very into the environment, the kids take nature walks, there is still homework planners and that sort of thing, but I think it may be the best alternative for you.  Pasco County has a montessori charter school, not sure how it works if you live in Hillsborough.  A new charter opened this year called "Channelside Academy" and I have a friend who loves it.  They partnered with the aquarium and other downtown facilities...
my son loves to play "math" on a website called www.ixl.com.  His school sent out summer homework and it was to do around 200 review problems on the site (he's in 2nd grade this year).  If you look, there is a whole "1st grade" with problems divided by specific category "adding numbers 1 thru 10".  He thought it was fun and it really helps review all the concepts.  He does a couple of categories a week to keep up with second grade math.   Good luck!    Ps.  My...
Quote: Originally Posted by Fyrestorm Nigeria does not have a Yellow Fever or any other vaccine requirement. http://www.abriggs.com/high_level/FER_N/Nigeria_FER.php I took a quick look and could not find any areas of Africa that require vaccination for entry. I might have missed one... We were told by the Nigerian consulate since we are in the process of applying for a Visa that it is required for approval, they were quite frank about...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kiddoson is this the same as a passport? isn't that forcing you? It is not the same as a passport, its permission from the country we are entering and we are planning on taking my son to Africa in the summer of 2009 and he can't go unless he's vaccinated for yellow fever for example. It is forced, but its simple, either you fulfill the requirements or you don't get a Visa. And you don't HAVE to travel to Nigeria so...
both my kids are on a delayed schedule and some we don't give at all. My husband is a volunteer for drs without borders and we are planning on taking the children on a couple of his volunteer trips to nations where we simply wouldn't feel secure if they werent' vaccinated, plus they wouldn't get a Visa. We have done tons of research and the delayed schedule works for us. I think everyone has to read and do what's best for their family.
I totally agree with you, the single mom was so happy to have the baby and she was cooing and laughing and just so thrilled while the couple was more concerned with how she looked and yeah, how she'd be tan and blond by the time she would come back to Siberia (and HELLO, the mom is NOT a real blond). Sigh, I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit!
So I'm watching this this AM (9 AM on the East Coast) and there's this blond couple from Florida who are in Siberia to adopt a little girl and the "mother" said the most disturbing things such as: 1. We don't want to spend $35,000 on a baby and have her turn against me 2. Is there any way to test if the baby has any drugs in her system (this is AFTER the adoption has been finalized) 3. Does it feel (asking another adoptive mother) like someone handed you their...