or Connect

Posts by nancy926

Another Burlington-area mom here - we are homeschooling 2 kids this fall (almost 8, and just turned 5) & live about 25 min north of B-town - but we're always down that way & would love to meet up. There is also a Vermont homeschoolers' yahoo group you can join if you do wind up homeschooling. :-) Good luck w/the move!
When I was trying to keep a portfolio I would write up a weekly summary of activities, discussions, crafts, etc. in Word. I also took photos and put aside writing samples and art projects. The plan was to submit the weekly summary, some samples and some photos... but in the end, we went with an assessment by a certified professional. It took an hour or so and was far, far from formal. That was kindergarten. We are doing the certified assessment again for first grade, but...
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot -- From Goodreads: "Her name was Henrietta Lacks, but scientists know her as HeLa. She was a poor Southern tobacco farmer who worked the same land as her slave ancestors, yet her cells—taken without her knowledge—became one of the most important tools in medicine. The first “immortal” human cells grown in culture, they are still alive today, though she has been dead for more than sixty years.... HeLa cells were vital...
Hunger, by Michael Grant - This is the sequel to Gone, set in a California town in which everyone over the age of 14 disappears one afternoon. In the sequel, food is scarce, and there's something evil underground trying to come alive. Many kids have powers of some kind - one can move faster than the eye can see, one can suspend gravity, etc. - and so there's also a divide between the "normals" and the "freaks." I thought this was okay - about 100 pages too long, though....
Hi all! It has been months and months since I was on a Book Challenge thread! But I'm trying to get back into reading... so here are my May books. Gone - Michael Grant One day in a town in California, everyone over the age of 14 disappears. What happens? How do kids organize themselves? Who's in charge? This is sort of a The Stand meets Lord of the Flies - it took me several chapters to get into it, but I enjoyed it. I have the second in the series, Hunger, but haven't...
Quote: Originally Posted by Bufomander And I just finished the sequel to the Hunger Games #108 Chasing Fire by Suzanne Collins DH and I have both devoured this. too bad about needing to wait for the final one in the trilogy -- i might re-read the first two when it comes out. Have you read Battle Royale? Japanese book that some say was "cribbed" for Hunger Games... I haven't read it so I don't know. I thought HG was awesome & am thinking about...
Hoping to get back on here in 2010...I spent much of 2009 writing, editing and self publishing my first novel....not sure if I am allowed to "market" in these messages though! :-) I've also read some other good stuff this year: Kingsolver- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle Christiano - Gabriel's Fired (another self-published author whom I know from college - this is a satire of the publishing industry and very, VERY funny) Collins - Hunger Games Huber - Time-Out...
I'm not on these boards much anymore, but we live in Fairfax, Franklin Co, between Burlington & St. Albans.
Prep is not a YA book, but it's about young adults. It wasn't marketed as YA, anyway. I remember liking it, and I think it's still around somewhere so I might even re-read it. I'm not reading anything right now, which is really strange for me.
Wow y'all are reading like gangbusters. I loved Middlesex. Great book. #3: American Wife, by Curtis Sittenfeld I remember when Prep came out and I didn't want to like it. The author was 15 when she wrote it? She's a girl and her name is Curtis? Sssshyeah. Please. I'll pick it up just to see how bad it is. But I loved Prep, and The Man of My Dreams (her second), and I loved American Wife possibly even more than the other two. It's a novel based on the life of...