or Connect

Posts by nancy926

I'm back for 2009! But first, my last book of 2008: #64: Sweethearts, by Sara Zarr This was...okay. I actually thought the main character was pretty well drawn, and there were some lyrical passages. But I thought the author could have done much more with it. And I kept waiting for the huge "thing" that Jennifer and Cameron experience that bonds them forever...even after it happened, I guess. Oops. I found some of the plot to be unrealistic. I did really like Jennifer's...
#63: A Breath of Snow and Ashes, by Diana Gabaldon I flew through this one...I do admit to skimming through some parts, though. I am not *that* much of a history buff and after 5 books of the stuff, it's starting to wear on me a bit. I am still invested in the characters, though, and there were some great plot twists in this one. I am hoping she's at least finished writing book 7 so it will come out in 2009.....
Quote: Originally Posted by merpk I still think he's great. And it's funny to reread this thread, that 4years ago I took "The Terminal" off my library list. Because I just downloaded it last week, haven't gotten to watch it yet. OMG, DH and I just watched the Terminal the other night. I thought it was horrible. Slow, badly written, full of plot holes, and really - I kinda *like* Tom Hanks, but not as a fakey-fake Russian-knock-off guy....
Quote: Originally Posted by NewCrunchyDaddy So ... What did you think of Stiff? I'm dying to know. (No pun intended.) LOL. I read this awhile ago, as well as Spook (which is purportedly about ghosts). They were both okay, but I thought Roach tried too hard to be funny in some places. Plus, her research for Spook was not very impressive...I felt like she'd already decided what her views were about life after death and had no interest in...
#61: HeartSick, by Chelsea Cain Dark, twisted detective/thriller about: A series of murders in Portland, Ore., all of teen girls A lead investigator with a drug addiction and an obsession with a previous serial killer who tortured him nearly to death A young newspaper writer who's writing a series of articles about the current spate of murders All of the characters are screwed up, which is sort of refreshing. I did skim a bit, but in general I thought it was...
building things (lego, lincoln logs, etc) - she LOVES this kind of thing. Matchbox cars. pretending...she and her sister have been pretending to go ice skating, playing "Ace of Cakes" with Play-Doh, and other pretend scenarios where DD1 is the mom or dad and DD2 is the child. arts/crafts games - she would play games almost all day (board games, card games) she spent a long time last week using a cardboard box as a "sled" and making a "hill" out of the couch...
Rat-a-tat-cat Uno Blokus Sorry Monopoly Jr Gulo Gulo Quoridor Gobblet (or Gobblet jr) Qwirkle Connect Four Blink Set Yahtzee My DD makes up rules once she knows the actual rules. That makes it more fun. So for rat-a-tat cat, sometimes we play that you try to get the highest score possible (instead of the lowest, like the rules say), and sometimes we play with more or less than four cards. When we play Sorry, sometimes we get to hold 5 cards in our hand instead of just...
Okay....I haven't been doing much reading lately because i NaNoWriMoed instead, and won! I'm now in the editing process, which is possibly more fun than the writing. On the reading front.... #59: My Start-Up Life, by Ben Casnocha About an eighth-grader who starts his own dot-com business, and how he juggles school and business meetings with venture capitalists. There was some great advice in here, particularly for non-business types such as myself who are forced...
Quote: Originally Posted by cathe "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins The story alternates between modern day (3 separate stories of people in various parts of the world all with something to do with perfume) and an ancient story of a king who searches for immortality. This was a weird book. It was lent to me by the same friend who lent me "The Man Who Fell In Love with the Moon" so I had high hopes but I never really got that into it. I mean, it was...
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenifer76 Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch The premise of the story is a suburban mother, disgruntled by her current life and haunted by memories of her ex, finds herself seven years in the past -- before the marriage, the suburbs and the baby. The best part: she is fully aware that she has gone back in time and has the gift of hindsight. She has the chance to rewrite her life or follow the same path. Raise your hand if...