or Connect

Posts by nancy926

LLBean has a 100% guarantee on everything they sell. So start sending back his shredded pants for new ones. Jiffy Shirts sells sweatpants for about $6 a pair. Or you could find a store that sells used kids' clothing - Once Upon A Child has everything arranged by size and type. You might see if you can find velour pants for boys. Sounds weird, but my older DD has never liked jeans, and last year she wore the knees out of several pairs of pants. However, her velour...
If you have Once Upon A Child or thrift stores, check there. That's where we've gotten most of ours, for almost nothing. If you have a relative who'd like a holiday gift idea, you could mention Legos to them....
At a non-potential-meltdown time, you could ask him what he thinks might happen if he rode his tricycle on a Friday or chose a red straw on Wednesday. I identify with that rules-making personality and it took a professional to help me see the consequences of "rule breaking" were not dire. As in, the world will not end. When you are young and gifted and able to think about things beyond your developmental stage, structure can bring some semblance of security.
I was coming to ask the same Q as the PP. What do you mean by "progress"? There are so many possibilities there. Do you want him to learn to multiply? Count by 10s? Read at grade level? Be more empathetic? Build a birdhouse? Tie his shoes? Cook scrambled eggs? Write a poem? Understand how a road is built? Ask questions about the moon? Remember to bring his dishes to the kitchen when he's done eating? Learn proper phone etiquette? Take karate lessons? When your child is...
While we are not no-plastic or no-characters, we have no problem with families that are. i would love to see a bit more tolerance in this realm. My kids do watch some TV (mostly educational, but some cartoons w/o ads), but they are not exposed to marketing for characters and will not watch any Disney movies anyway as they are too scary. They have plastic toys, but what gets played with the most are open-ended toys (plastic or not) - dolls, play kitchen and food, little...
I'm not speaking on the autism/vaccine connection, but you should know that Offit is wayyyy on the other side of the vaccine debate. He seems to think the more, the merrier. He has many enemies due to his complete dismissal of the idea that vaccines could possibly have any undue consequences that science doesn't already know about. (He also holds a patent on a rotavirus vaccine and gets Merck funding.) Not saying he doesn't have valid points, but he is not...
#56: Audition, by Barbara Walters Fascinating, but about 100 pages too long. You do get to learn ALL about Baba Wawa, though. And lots of celebrity dish (as well as interesting and useful information about several presidents and other world leaders, for those of you who need more than gossip). Highly entertaining but took forever to read (600-something large-ish pages with small-ish type). Wonder what the paperback will look like. PS. I love Alfie Kohn, though I do not...
She should be able to get help through the VA. There is both a generic drug (prazosin) and a non-drug therapy for PTSD (it's called EMDR) that are very effective. VA medical centers know about both of these treatments. The alcohol use, etc. are ways of dealing with PTSD, but until the PTSD is treated they will not stop.
Is it *possible* that the dog just wanted to meet the puppy and then was confused by the fence? Is it *possible* the dog accidentally got out? It appeared to go right back home again. Your post says nothing about the dog bothering any of the people. I realize that must have been scary, since you did not know your neighbors owned a dog, let alone a breed that gets a bad rap. But I also am tired of prejudice against pit bulls and related breeds. They are NOT all...
Quote: Originally Posted by momma_unlimited my perception of just trying to remove anything that could possibly cause conflict, rather than consistently helping him to follow through when I guide him, is that it would be... permissive... child-centered rather than family-centered? Obviously I do some things to make our house more toddler friendly. No valuables within reach, no cleaning products in low places... But if I just removed anything that could...