or Connect

Posts by nancy926

I would not consider that a slip. It is the truth, yes? And you were not saying it to show off. If your friend took it that way, you could apologize for any intended insensitivity. But otherwise I'd just let it go. It's not like you said "Wow, your kid must be cognitively delayed because my daughter could sit still for an hour at that age!"
I had a similar age/reading level gap as a kid. I read a lot of Roald Dahl, Beverly Clearly, plus Mary Poppins, Wizard of Oz (both of those are actually series, not just single books), Black Beauty, Charlie & the Chocolate Factory. I don't remember my parents screening books for me - they just set me loose in the library and let me check out what was interesting. I cannot remember any of those books "scaring" or confusing me. At least not to the degree that it affects...
Last night S decided SHE would read the bedtime story to me. She did really well! Right now she is measuring things with a tape measure. A friend just had a baby and he is 21 inches long, and she wanted to be able to see how long that was. She's doing a 2nd grade math workbook when she feels like it. I don't know how *truly* 2nd grade it is, but that's what it says on the cover. And she's been asking a lot of questions about voting and what the president does. I...
I am the "other parent," LOL. DH is the SAHP. I work from home, so I do see my kids a lot, but some days they are gone all or most of the day doing things, or i can't take that much time out to see them during the day. You could suggest that your DH try to get one-on-one time with each child. Our kids also are 6 (well, next month) and 3. The 6-year-old and I go out together almost every weekend, just us. Hiking or ice skating or just lunch out. The 3-year-old still...
Fairfax school has the same thing on the same day (Sat) and time, also starting Nov 1. It's more an open gym thing, with balls, gym mats, a rope swing, baby toys, etc. Just FYI for any of you who are closer to Fairfax than Essex Jct.
At 16 months, he is not going to stay away from the woodstove. Get a stove fence and gate. Put the woodstove tools on the other side of the fence. You can get locks for toilet seats. Diapers, you can try different strategies - some people use a toy that the DC can have ONLY while getting his/her diaper changed. A cell phone in "Key lock" mode often works. I guess I'm saying it's up to the parent to problem-solve solutions - it's not up to the kid to try to figure...
So..do you *know* that no one ever plays with her on the playground? Or are you assuming that because you saw her sitting by herself one time?
Never tried it (much to my dad's chagrin, I am sure). Snowboarding
I have, in St. Lucia. I have never gotten a tattoo.
Could you just let him "veg out" a little and wait to see what happens? There's nothing wrong with vegging out, IMHO - it might look like he is doing nothing, but who knows what's going on in his head. Are you involved in any HS groups so you can get out of the house during the day? Or even just find things to do that are not at home - museum, library, etc. Is he interested in something that could be fostered with a field trip or two? I would let it ride a bit and...