or Connect

Posts by nancy926

Miss I, this is OT to this thread, but I read some of your blog about your youngest DD's speech. My younger DD is three and her speech is, shall we say, unique. She does not use subject pronouns at all, and mispronounces an awful lot of words. For example, she won't say any "s" that comes before another consonant, so ski becomes ki, sponge is punge, etc. I'm actually okay with this. I think it's cute. Her older sister did some of the same things, and at almost 6 now has...
Well, we homeschool with no formal lessons - so it's not like she was doing homework. She wanted to do it, but didn't want to problem-solve a solution that might have involved effort from her (like moving to another room).
Anony-mouse, if you are against unschooling then you shouldn't be surprised to encounter resistance when posting in an unschooling forum. My DD is almost 6. She is doing 2nd grade math and reading at grade level. She loves learning about any sort of animal, the weather, the stars (she's fascinated with the moon), negative numbers, geography, building things, how trees grow, and about a thousand other things. She's also unschooled. "Forcing" your child to learn...
Pick your battles. Here, brushing teeth is a must. The other things we let go (interrupting is going to happen for years - you should for sure explain it's rude, but don't expect it to change right away!). Eating - we provide the food, they eat it or not. Clothing - they wear what they want, we bring along a jacket. Take a bath - how many baths does a kid really, really need? Would a quick sponge bath do the trick? And when it's time for a "must-do", like tooth...
Not to scare those of you with no kids older than 3...but my older DD is giving us a run for our money lately. This morning she was screaming at her father that he was "distracting her" from her math workbook -- apparently he was in the next room talking to Z, and DD1 could not concentrate. DD1 just cannot let things go, so she wound herself up and up until she wound up in her room to calm down. Z marched over, opened the door, went in and gave DD1 a hug. They came out...
Quote: Originally Posted by Freeman I second the classic fairy tales and books by Roald Dahl. Also, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. DS also likes the Magic School Bus series, which contains books about science. Alice in Wonderland? Really? I tried reading that to DD and neither one of us could understand it. We do lots of picture books because my DD is visual...when we read chapter books she's always looking for more...
Miranda, To me that is a great approach. Some may not call it unschooling but I think it is. Or maybe it's "APSchooling" or something. Listening to your child's needs rather than following rigid rules that say you *can't* help, which I do not understand. To me, that can be as damaging as a set timed curriculum.
I would not worry about "what ifs". If he's enjoying the math and it's challenging, it's all good. As for missing concepts, I don't know - some kids appear to just figure them out. My DD is HSed for K but is doing second-grade math and frankly it looks a lot like K math, just with bigger numbers - at least so far.
Quote: Originally Posted by laohaire My kid is 3 years old and doesn't go to bed before 11pm or midnight. I hate this. I feel sad at the idea that she will struggle her entire life to go to school, go to work, and be an active person. Wow...that's somewhat fatalistic, don't you think? Her sleep habits at age 3 will not be her sleep habits for the rest of her life. Things change - for good and for bad. You CAN take action against things you...
Quote: Originally Posted by keeksmom Because we have always unschooled, it feels weird, fake and wrong to sit her down at the dining table and tell her to practice handwriting. (And this is after she told me she wants to learn cursive). Unschooling is not NO schooling. If your DD wants you to teach her something, why would you refuse? IMHO, unschooling is following your child's lead without a set curriculum or list of things you "have" to...