or Connect

Posts by nancy926

We have had that same situation here. Usually the toy goes away for awhile. One thing that seems to help is to play with both kids and model the creativity you want the older one to accept. So maybe you're coloring, and you draw a purple sun, or a tree with wings. Or you're playing a game and you make up a new rule in the middle. Also model flexibility and acceptance of creativity/new ideas/new rules if they are introduced by either DC. I have done this for awhile...
#55: May Bird and the Ever After (Book One), by Jodi Lynn Anderson YA, recommended by a friend who said her 5th-grade niece and all her friends were reading it. Yikes - it's kinda dark. It sort of makes fun of itself in a dark way, but it's still dark. It reminded me of Terry Pratchett, only not so British. May Bird is an unpopular kid with a scrawny hairless cat named Somber Kitty. They wind up in the Ever After (it is full of ghosts and spirits) and have to try to get...
Quote: Originally Posted by hattifattener Ohhh... I totally get where you're coming from, but I just so wish it was true. We are income-free right now, as DH is in school, and there just IS no money- no amount of re-arranging will fix that. I have to figure out what to do in the meantime. Can you find out if his school offers a free clinic, or services for students and their families at low or no cost? Are there other free clinics in the...
Quote: Originally Posted by friendtoall What age would these books be suitable for? My DD is almost 6 and she would do fine with the books, though she may not understand some of the boy/girl stuff (all very G rated). The girls' mother died of cancer, so some may want to edit that part somewhat. Otherwise I can't think of too much that'd be unsuitable for anyone older than 4.
DH and the kids volunteered at a local 5K, helping with one of the water stops. My older DD liked it so much that she and I volunteered at a local 5K/10K race. We ran the only water stop. It was such a small race that I let DD pour and give out all of the water. Afterward, they chose her to pick out names for the raffle drawing. She's already talking about next year!
100 easy lessons can get boring fast, IMHO. I agree with finding another way, or just dropping the whole "teaching reading" idea altogether. We are doing 100 easy lessons with DD1, but she asked us to teach her and asks for lessons almost every day. I'm torn about it because on one hand, it is working, but on the other, I know she is very visual-spatial and phonics is not her thing. So sounding out every letter, while doable for her, takes forever and she often forgets...
#54: The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, by Jeanne Birdsall Sequel to the first book (four girls, two rabbits, very interesting boy). I liked this one just as much, possibly better. VERY well written and with such a feeling of "days gone by" that I was shocked the first book was written in 2005, and doubly shocked that the books were set in at least the past decade (car seat for the 4-year-old, laptop computers). It felt as if it were set in the 1950s. Highly recommended;...
Toddlers are funny little people. You cannot *make* them eat. Let it go.
I was asked to help other kids in kindergarten. Part of me liked being useful, but another part resented it. They already knew I was very different and the "tutoring" made it more obvious.
Quote: Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 I joke with my girlfriend sometimes that I need a good therapist, but maybe it's not so funny! Although I have no time or money for it... Not jumping in to pick on you....but you DO have the time and you CAN find the money. If this was happening to one of your kids, or a dear friend, wouldn't you do all that you could do? You'd have signed them up for a therapist long ago. But because it is YOU, you...