or Connect

Posts by Good Enough Mum

Quote:As I understand it (not an expert, just going by what I know of vaccine studies), first vaccines are tested on individuals to see whether they produce an antibody response. If they do, then that's at least biological evidence that they're doing something. Then they test them in a large group who are followed up for a few years to look for rates of the illness, to see whether the rates in the vaccinated group are significantly lower than expected (I believe there...
 That's one belief I think it's definitely worth stopping to question. This isn't meant to be about proving your courage; it's meant to be about getting a baby into the world in the way you can best feel comfortable with. I mean... I have a lot of respect and admiration for people who can run the Marathon des Sables, but I've learned to make my peace with the fact that I'm actually not one of the people who wants to do that and that it's perfectly OK for me not to like the...
Hi, Ellie, and congratulations on your pregnancy! I've sent you a PM (private message).
This article is actually quite confusing on the issue of whether midwifery is illegal or not. It claims that practicing midwifery is illegal – but buried further in the article is a comment that 'the state and medical associations are supportive of nurse-midwives', and the bill the article is discussing seems, from their description, to refer to legalising CPMs (certified professional midwives). So... maybe I'm wrong, but it did strike me that maybe the issue here is...
What else have you tried to get him back to sleep, and how did he respond?
I'm a big fan of Flylady, and one great piece of advice I remember reading in one of her e-mails is: Don't try to sell your stuff, because the amount of money you'll actually get from this is not going to be worth the time it takes. She gave an example of a yard sale where the person (I can't remember if this was Flylady or one of her followers who wrote in with the story) added up the money she got at the end of the day, calculated what that worked out as in terms of how...
Apparently this is actually a pretty common pattern for second labours (I remember reading this on Ask Moxie - she's great for picking up on those patterns that don't seem to get mentioned in the textbooks!).   As for getting labour going, I recall reading that some small studies have shown nipple-tweaking to increase the chances of women going into labour (presumably because of the prostaglandins released), but you have to do it for something like three hours out of the...
 Exactly. It's not as though you're arbitrarily kicking them out of their house. They had as much time as they wanted to think about it before putting their house on the market, and they then had all the time while the sale was being arranged and going through, and, if they don't really want to leave their house, they could have made that decision at absolutely any point along the way. (Like, for example, BEFORE THEY PUT IT ON THE MARKET.) They didn't. Instead, they went...
 Don't know whether that was meant to include my suggested Hermione/Percy pairing, but my thought was that the things about Percy that irritated everyone else would actually have been fine with Hermione, because she would have been happy taking the minutiae of life as seriously as he did. I agree Hermione/Draco isn't something I can see at all. I don't even agree that he ended up redeeming himself; he thought twice about going along with the worst of the things the Death...
 Wow. That was really tactless and, of course, also doesn't even make sense. I was picturing him making a general comment about it getting passed to a male, but specifying people? And specifying a mixture of genders, so it's not even a males-only rule but some sort of weird 'your children don't get to inherit' rule?? I can't make sense out of that at all. Bizarre (and very unpleasant, because it now seems that he isn't basing this on a general males-only rule but is making...