or Connect

Posts by Good Enough Mum

I have to disagree with that last paragraph (or at least what you seem to be saying in the last paragraph). I think the OP is certainly not obliged to accept the male-only rule if she isn't happy to do so, but what you seem to be suggesting here is that she should let FIL think she's going along with it, in a silence-implies-consent way, and then do something different after his death. If she isn't intending to honour his wishes, I think it's only fair for her to make...
 Well, it seems that what he's trying to do is to pass it down in a father-to-son bloodline as best as possible, using collateral branches only when no son is available in the branch of the family holding it. As far as I can see, it's similar to the Salic Law (except that that also contains a proviso that the handing-down can't take place through a female offspring, and I don't know whether your FIL has made that proviso or not). I don't agree with what he's trying to do,...
 Well, I feel sorry for their children. :) From their point of view, though, I think they'd be happy with each other. Yeah, it would all be really intense and serious and intellectual, but they'd both enjoy that, even though it might look dull to others. (And they'd see the rest of the Weasleys, and Harry, a lot, so that would help keep things lighter in their lives.)
Sorry, am going to add one further point I forgot: If the two of you do decide you can't accept it on those terms and do give that message to FIL, one other possible option is that, when he realises how strongly you feel, he'll rethink and agree that it can go to daughters rather than sons. Don't count on that, obviously, but do be aware if you contact FIL about it that that is one possible outcome.
My thought is that you and DH should sit down and discuss between the two of you whether you feel able to accept the heirloom given that this is the condition placed on it.   If not, then your DH will need to either speak or write to FIL explaining that, while he is extremely pleased and touched to have been given this photo and likes it greatly, he does not feel able to accept it on the stated condition as he can't go along with an inheritance rule that excludes his own...
Yay - just found this thread and love reading everyone's take on it!   I actually felt kind of relieved reading Rowling's comment, because I'm one of the people who never saw the Ron/Hermione pairing as plausible, and always felt it was a case of JKR trying to tidy up loose ends. So I like feeling validated on the idea that it was a mistake of JKR's that she regrets, even if it isn't for the reason I thought. (Interesting comment about it being for personal reasons - I'm...
First off, please believe that you are already doing incredibly well for your son. You are doing all that is in your power to do. You are being warm and loving to him despite being unutterably exhausted, and you have maintained this for almost two years. It simply isn't possible to maintain that 24/7 for this length of time. It isn't that you need to 'do better' - it's that you're trying to do something that can't be done. You can't keep giving and giving and giving to...
 In that case, I'd raise the subject of all the men who've had negative experiences with being circumcised at birth (there are plenty). And point out that you can't know in advance what your son is going to want when he's an adult, and, either way, there's a chance you might make a decision on this that he ultimately feels is wrong for him - but, if you decide to leave him intact and he later wants to be circ'd, that's going to be a whole lot less difficult for him to...
I'm not clear from this whether you've tried actually talking directly to your gf about your feelings about circumcision. Did you try this and how did the conversation go?
 I know. I was responding to something Viola said (post #110).