or Connect

Posts by Good Enough Mum

I also have to add, though, that I do not think it a good idea to define 'homebirth supporter' as 'someone who won't bring up any negative information about homebirth risks' and ban everyone else from the forum. That isn't differentiating between 'discussion of the risks' and 'shaming/guilting women' either, and it's important to differentiate between the two (and I recognise it can be a fine line, especially with such a sensitive subject where so many people have had...
 This really disturbed me, and I felt I had to say something, because I do not get that impression from Viola's horrible story at all. Yes, if negative consequences to a decision are possible, they need to be discussed with the patient as part of informed choice. That does not mean that all ways of bringing them up are perfectly fine and all just part of informed choice. It is totally possible for health care practitioners to use potential negative consequences as a way of...
 Those aren't included in the new MANA study, though, as that only gave stats on deaths during labour or in the first 28 days after birth. (So sorry to hear of your loss, BTW.)
 Don't suppose you (or anyone) can point me at the source for these stats? I've tried to find them on the CDC website, but it seems to be incredibly complicated to find any particular set of stats.
I wonder if maybe the smell of the milk is keeping him awake? That seems to be the case for some babies. Obviously, anything we can say is just a guess because he can't tell us! But it's good that he's been able to convey his wishes so clearly, even if he's got no way of telling you why. :)   By the way, if you keep the Moses basket next to your bed then that does count as co-sleeping (at least according to James McKenna's definition) as your baby is within arm's reach...
 That article actually refers to suffocation risk, not SIDS risk, which is what the OP was asking about. (Also, there's a big flaw in Kimmel's analysis: it simply isn't possible to get remotely accurate figures on bedsharing deaths from the dataset she uses, because the biggest group of bed-related suffocation deaths, the 'Other beds/bedding' group, doesn't have data on what proportion were bedsharing deaths. Kimmel points out quite correctly that we can't use that group...
Yes. Newer studies have factored infant age in as a risk factor, and have shown that, for younger babies, there is a generally increased risk even after allowing for factors like smoking, bedding, etc. I wrote a (longish) summary of the research a year or so back, at http://parentingmythsandfacts.com/2011/12/15/the-truth-about-bedsharing-risks-and-why-it-may-not-be-what-you-think/   The risk is much higher if anyone in the bed is a smoker; if other young children are in...
 See, I think there's a difference between "I personally prefer not to do X or let my children do it" and "I'm SHOCKED that YOU would do X!" I would describe the latter reaction as taking offence, but not the former. Sometimes people do just have limits for what they're OK with without feeling shocked or offended by the fact that other people have different limits. It sounds as though that's how this woman approached things. She's politely tried to find a compromise...
 It's possible that his foreskin had naturally separated on its own (unusually young, but it can happen at just about any age from what I recall) and that what happened was that she made a very gentle effort to see if it was still attached or not and found it wasn't, and it just rolled back. Is it looking raw? If not, and if he's not distressed, that may be what happened. I would certainly raise your concerns with her, and you don't have to wait till the next visit to do...
 It is normally used as an insult rather than a neutral term, and I'm honestly pretty sceptical at the idea that you didn't know this perfectly well when you used it. If you really didn't know that, then consider this your heads-up that it is indeed typically considered a pejorative term and that this will thus be how people are likely to interpret it.