or Connect

Posts by Good Enough Mum

Which makes me wonder... if the friend was acting this way, while we'd obviously all find it very strange and shake our heads over this woman's issues, would she be getting the same kind of censure? Especially if we knew that the reason was that she came from a culture who had similar (if less extreme) views about the desirability of eating in public? Wouldn't we see her as something of a victim herself, rather than insulting her for her role in perpetuating the problem?...
 I don't blame the OP either. I was objecting to the words of the poster who a) flat-out misrepresented things the woman had been saying by claiming she had said things that she hadn't, and b) came out with a word as judgemental as 'prude' to describe her. Yes, these sorts of attitudes absolutely do need to be changed. However, insulting and denigrating the people who have internalised them for use in their own lives and choices is a pretty poor way to go about it.
Maggie, I wasn't shocked by your opinions. I was shocked that you would be so harsh and critical towards someone simply for not sharing them. We don't know what events in this woman's life have led her to this reaction to nursing. Maybe she has strict religious beliefs that we don't share but are nevertheless important to her. Maybe she's had the disadvantage of a particularly rigid upbringing. Maybe some factor we can't even guess at. What right do any of have to label...
 Have you any idea why this is such an issue for him? I mean, obviously any parent is going to be concerned about the possibility of their child being the victim of teasing, but what makes him so convinced that his son will be teased for having a foreskin? Has he heard of cases where this happened? Has he himself been the victim of bullying as a child - could that be why it's a particular sore spot? If you want to get any further at all in this debabe, it'll be really...
 That's quite correct. If both parents have been tested for the PKU gene and don't have it, their baby cannot have it. However, genetic testing is a darned sight more complicated and expensive than doing a PKU test on a newborn, so you wouldn't normally test this way. What's worrying me a little is that she would say something so potentially misleading and not clarify. I mean, I wasn't there for the conversation so maybe I'm misinterpreting it, but... was this in the...
 No. These disorders are typically recessive disorders. Here's how it works: Each of us carries two copies of each gene, one inherited from each parent. A recessive disorder is one in which you need a gene for a particular job, but only need one good copy of the gene to do it. So, if you inherited a good copy of the gene from one of your parents and a faulty copy from the other, you won't have the disorder. However, you will still be able to pass on your faulty copy to...
I'm a bit puzzled by the 'I do want her to learn how to skate, she will learn' comment. I mean, you say in the rest of the post that she really wants to learn, and if it's a case of helping her to overcome her fears to do something she really wants to do then I think that's great. But that line sounded as though you were expecting her to learn to skate no matter how she felt about it - was that how you meant it, or did I misunderstand?
 Good grief. First off, could you have put any more words into this woman's mouth? She did not tell the OP not to nurse, she did not raise any objection to how the OP was raising her child, and she did not (at least from what we're told) give any indication that she wanted the woman to pretend she wasn't breastfeeding. She asked for the option of taking her kids out of the room during nursing sessions. That's it. Secondly, you know what? Different people have different...
 Flyrabbitfly, did she actually say anything to suggest she holds this view of you? I'm wondering how much of the problem is that you're seeing this as a personal criticism of you, when that may not be at all how it was intended. I mean, it is possible that she can disagree with your views on nursing in front of children without having labelled you as 'creepy' or in any way less as a person. In fact, it seems to me that if she felt negatively about you as a person based on...
 Good lord, I hope no hospital would give out such data without permission. This is exactly the sort of strategy an abusive ex might use to get contact details about a partner that's left him and is trying to steer clear. Unfortunately, there may not be much your BIL can do. What he can do is get legal advice to find out what his position is with regard to getting access once the child is born if he actually can track this woman down (unless there's something major going...