or Connect

Posts by gcgirl

DS1 never got into dolls. The only wooden toys he cares about are his wooden train set and his wooden sword.   DS2 loves dolls. He's very cuddly and likes to play imaginative games with them.   Totally depends on the kid!
  Actually, my personal opinion is that Waldorf tends to attract artistic types, rather than that we have a cultural bias toward actors. I would like to see more data on this "high percentage" of Waldorfers who go into the sciences because I am not yet convinced. But that's not because I think Waldorf doesn't teach math and science well.
Haven't read all replies, but here is my take: doctors and researchers all over the world looked at exactly the same data these doctors did and came to the opposite conclusion - that circ should NOT be performed routinely. Some countries are even taking steps to ban the practice (I'll refrain from discussing the cultural implications of that).   My main argument has been and continues to be that if 80% of the world doesn't circ and they aren't having constant...
  I tried that with DS1 too. That was my natural inclination, actually. What happens is he gets about seven hours of sleep a day, then acts like a horrible brat when he's awake because he isn't getting enough sleep. It's not that he only needs seven hours--trust me on this, I can tell--it's that he can't get enough when left to his own devices.
We got DS1 these: http://www.amazon.com/Maped-Kidikut-Scissors-Fiberglass-Assorted/dp/B001ALQY30/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345660711&sr=8-2&keywords=kid+scissors+safe and this: http://www.amazon.com/Paper-Kumon-First-Steps-Workbooks/dp/1933241144/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345660755&sr=8-2&keywords=scissor+learning   Those scissors are amazing: they really only cut paper.   He started getting into scissors in a big way around 3.5, and he had a blast with this. Now,...
Well, duh. Lol. I mean, I love that there's now "scientific evidence" of this, but it only confirms what people have observed for years.
OMG, I'm totally going to watch this!
This is the fantasy I was buying into that turned out not to be our reality: that my children would learn from watching us and wanting to be like us, and therefore would eventually end up cleaning like us and behaving like us and being helpful because that's what we value. HA! Not so much. DS2 is like that to a point - I think if he were our only child, we wouldn't need to be using any "program" of discipline because the fantasy of child-rearing would be our reality. But...
We're going with a Montessori charter for all the reasons you mentioned. DS1 is particularly independent and I think will do well in a child-led classroom, plus I LOVE the multi-age classroom. I'm still agonizing about sending him instead to the Spanish immersion school (which we probably couldn't get into anyway, and is like 45 minutes away, but what an opportunity!) or to our local charter, which is arts-based. There is no 100% perfect school for us, unless my retired...
ITA. DS1 has several friends who don't watch TV at all (Waldorfers), or only very little, carefully chosen for content. Most of these kids got "brattier" as they approached 3, 4 and up. A couple of them are holy terrors with their parents sometimes. It's just part of their natural development to experiment with communication and personality.   My kids don't seem to behave any differently when I let them watch TV vs. when I don't. And they are often "better-behaved" than...