or Connect

Posts by gcgirl

We listen to whatever I'm listening to, which is everything. Lol.   I've made a few playlists for the kids to play on their stereo, mostly for bedtime, some for daytime. There's a mix of stuff - Celtic, harp, various classical, some of that Putomayo international kids' stuff, a few non-offensive pop songs (DS1 LOVES Rockin' Robin and Mr. Roboto). And we just discovered that the bestest ever nighttime relaxation mix is Ray Lynch's Deep Breakfast album randomized with...
I have not. I DID, however, recently get 1-2-3 Magic, which I haven't finished yet and only started using yesterday, but it is already working wonders. I didn't want to try it, instead preferring to go all Alfie Kohn/GD/Naomi Aldort on my kids, but that just wasn't working for ANY of us. If it ends with me pitching a fit and screaming at them, and all of us being crappy to each other, then it's not effective.   1-2-3 Magic has, so far, been VERY effective, and...
Yeah,see, that would really bother me too. That's disturbing and disgusting that he would even think that. Ew, ew, ew. Definitely would not let my kids around that guy in the future. I don't know about reporting him though...I mean, WTF is CPS even going to do with that info? Good call on the PP who suggested checking the predator database though. There is just something not right with what that guy said.   And I'm a little concerned about those people at the party...wet...
  This is DS1 - he's ALWAYS been a trouble sleeper. Once he gets to sleep, he sleeps great - no getting up in the middle of the night or anything. But getting him TO sleep, oh god, that's a horror show. More often than not I've left angry because I can't take it anymore - and then of course I feel like crap for having left a negative impression at sleepy time. Rewards don't work, routines don't work, changing his diet didn't work, letting him skip nap didn't work...he's...
Frankly this was a pretty worthless article, for all the reasons people already mentioned. The author obviously wanted to make a point, then went about gathering (or manufacturing) evidence to support her POV. It's unscientific, anecdotal (or made up), reactionary, and just plain agenda-ized.   It doesn't push my insecurity buttons because it's so pointless. Lol.
I haven't read all the replies, but I got serious about cutting down on sugar a while back because I'm now convinced sugar is the heart of most of our physical problems. ("our" meaning as a society, not our family in particular.) What I decided to do is only have dessert on Sunday, so it's a special treat but we don't have to go completely without it. I also allow the kids to participate in special occasions, like birthday parties or holiday celebrations. But otherwise,...
Nah. I'm pretty misanthropic and have terrible social anxiety. I keep in touch with people on Facebook whom I would never talk to IRL because of my issues. It's been pretty good to me.
This is probably going against the spirit of this thread, but how apropos that I came on here feeling like a failure for accomplishing NOTHING today and see this! Lol. I had two or three minor things I wanted to accomplish today, but so far NONE of them is done because of the "I'm hungry" "I need..." "He hit me..." crap going on ALL. DAY. LONG.    Grrrr.   Glad to see others are getting things accomplished tho. ;)
I won't force my kids to eat something they hate, but we do have a "This is what we're having, you eat it or you don't" policy. We have such food abundance in this country that it's hard to remember what it's like to not have all these choices...but that doesn't mean my kids can pick any one of a hundred items to eat. I buy it, I cook it, I serve it. Period. When you're hungry enough, you'll eat it.   I do allow my kids to choose which green vegetable we're having...
I have no idea if that's a real Montessori thing or not, but it totally makes sense to me. It's better to not censor yourself on a first write-through. I had English teachers who preferred we cross out our changes and mark our rewrites above or in the margins so we/they could see our though progression through successive drafts.   ETA: We also used this technique in the writing lab where I tutored in college.