or Connect

Posts by gcgirl

Wow, I haven't posted in this forum for a while. Here's what's going on:   Both DS are intact, never had a problem with DS1. DS2 (17 months) just had his 2nd case of balanitis (foreskin infection) in five months. The ped was great - says DS's foreskin is tight which would encourage bacterial growth, suggested we NOT consider circ unless he continues having infections, then we can look into it. He also suggested we could prevent future infections by applying a topical...
My mom is retiring this year -  And I'm in charge of her retirement party -    My mom's giving me her guest list and I am sending the invites. I was just wondering what the protocol is for requesting donations toward a gift - I know this sort of thing happens, but I am clueless about organizing it. I can't think of a polite way to word it. I can't even decide if it's rude or not to even mention it. Should I add something like "If you would like to contribute to the...
YES! This exactly. Most of our friends do the "no gifts please", as do we (and I usually add "Your presence is present enough!"). But EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we are one of only a few people who actually respect the request. Then there's the fol de rol of the child opening presents excitedly, and DS and I are kind of hanging back like OOPS. Should've brought a gift I guess.   Now, I know the parents are the ones who want NO GIFTS. And I get it and respect it, because I feel...
I've read all the unconditional parenting and gentle discipline books, and I *still* get explosive. What helped me most was learning about parent-child interactions from the Mary Sheedy Kurcinka books, particularly Kids, Parents and Power Struggles. I've known my temperament and personality-type for a long time, but reading her descriptions and SPECIFIC actions I can take to communicate with my kids has really helped.    One of the greatest disappointments of my...
Maybe she gets to play the iPhone as a special treat at times like this. I've thought about giving DS an iPhone in a restaurant because otherwise he'll be getting up and running all over the place, and dammit, I want to sit and EAT! So if it keeps his butt in the chair, so be it.     
Thanks for your reply - good advice. We are already dairy-free due to sensitivities, and egg-free because DS2 is sensitive. We've been partially gluten-free as well, so we've definitely been heading this direction. It's daunting though.   I make a pretty good bone broth, but I really need to get into a better system of making and keeping it. Storage space is at a premium. I think ice cubing it is the way to go.   Honestly? My biggest challenge is going to be DH....
I realize that's a stupid question - of course it's hard! Humans are primed to seek out fats and sugar and now it's EVERYWHERE. I've been trying for a long time to reduce our sugar consumption as a family. I know it's possible because I've read about it here on mothering, and I have friends IRL who don't even keep sugar in the house, but it seems so DAUNTING! A lot of it is emotional - I grew up with lots of sugar, my family (parents, sibs, etc.) eats lots of sugar, and...
ITA. I tried to put DS1 in soccer TWICE because he wanted to (and he loves playing sports stuff at home), but both times he got bored and we never finished out a series. What a waste of $.    Some kids will take to it. But it's very likely kids that young will not want to play/be intimidated/get bored/whatever/etc. That's what I've decided, anyway! ;)  
I have this feeling I may have posted this question here before, but if so, I've forgotten...   I make bone broth every week. I LOVE how the bones become soft and crushable after simmering for 12 hours in a slow cooker w/a dash of vinegar. I'm just wondering if any of you crush the bones and throw 'em in the soups, or do you throw the bones away? Do you crack the bones and suck out the marrow? Or do you do something else with them? And do you do it with all bones,...
I'd allow it, but I stay up late myself, and I ran around until after dark with my friends when I was a kid. I just took a nap the next day. (It was always HOT in the afternoons anyway, so why not nap?) Since I've had my own kids, I've gotten on board with enforcing sleep because I realize it's SO important, but I think I could make it work. And I could certainly give my kids the choice: do you want to stay out late and play and take a longer nap tomorrow, or do you want...