or Connect

Posts by giftedwith2

Since many of you have adopted transracially maybe some of you "already been there and done that " moms can help. My dd is 13 and just getting interested in make up. She's also AAwith a coconut complexion. We live in New England where our community is not very diverse so local choices in cosmetic brands and shades for darker complexions are very limited. Can anyone suggest appropriate make up brands, colors and shades for us to experiment with? She young and we just want...
Thanks for the responses guys! You've made me feel a lot better! It was also nice to run into a 60y/o grandmother in FYI the other day. She was looking for more indoor sports games for the wii to play at her home. She'd enjoyed playing with her grandaughters so much that she wanted her own! LOL! Yeah, I think the fact that this is a Wii makes a big difference in why I'm so hooked. We can be ACTIVE together and team up with each other. I've impressed my son with my tennis...
Play video games with your kids? And like it? LOL! I am 4oy/o, work as a nurse with special needs kids, dress and live fairly conservatively-go to church on Sun etc. And I have found that I LOVE to play video games with my kids--- and sometimes I even play by myself long after their asleep! I find this a little odd and out of character for myself. It's something I imagined 20 something singles and teenagers to enjoy- not someone like me! But I LOVE It! We bought a Wii a...
I care for special needs kids and we do have an alarm on the bedroom door they use. I only activate it at night to be sure I wake up should a kiddo get the urge for midnight exploration! I got mine at "stiks-N-stuff" for about $10.00. You can buy them and more advanced types though at any Home Depot/ Lowes type place. Very simple to install-ours just has two parts. One attatches to the edge of the door and one to the door fram with adhesive. Once stuck, very hard to...
Well, If there is enough trust between you this could be an amazing thing for all of you and the future child. I would be very careful to still use a lawer- and make sure she has one too and gets counseling. Also be sure that the expectations on both sides are very clearly outlined in an adoption contract. Friendships, emotions and sadly friendships change over time-sometimes not for the best. You want to be very sure your family's rights are protected no matter what...
My 13 year old DD is beautiful, makes friends easily, bright and funny. She has always had a huge imagination and loved fantasy play, writing stories and reinacting scenes of movies. She has same age peers with whom she sociallizes appropriately but at home I am growing more and more concerned about her "play." She sits in her room with the lights off and chats out loud to imaginary/pretend characters. She will also laugh and get loud enough to be heard downstairs. She is...
Maybe you could have her try putting her underwear in one of those mesh laundry bags that are used for delicates. You (or she)could then toss the whole bag into the wash without having to touch anything individually. For a while I had my kids sort their own laundry into individual baskest-White basket for whites, yellow for lights blue for darks etc. On their laundry day or the day I was doing a certain color they would just bring that color basket to the washer and...
Sounds like you are doing and saying everything you can right now to support Desta. I homeschool my kids and despite their somewhat sheltered world (they are very involved in many activities but are sheltered compared to the general public school environment) I can't prevent unpleasant experiences from touching them sometimes. What I can do though is be their advocate. I can cry with them, defend them and support them. It is my hope that they will know that they can rely...
Sounds like you've handled it great so far! I guess as a mom who wants to empower my own sometimes-lacking -in- confidence daughter, I'd try to support her right to defend herself and at the same time reinforce the fact that hitting when not in physical danger is unacceptable. Maybe I'd say something like, " You have never hit anyone at school before. You must have felt very upset or frightened to do that. I want you to know that I ( or teacher etc.) will protect...
Well, my dd is 12 but is a little"young" in her tastes compared to kiddo's in the neighborhood. She LOVES the whole "Halloween Town" series the Disney channel starts showing around this time of year-especially the first one. Visually it's great with the Halloweeny colors, creatures and magic. There is a bit of teen rebellion and enough scarieness from the villans that it keeps her happy but no nightmares. Actually our whole family loves them! If you don't have cable I'll...