or Connect

Posts by MamaOutThere

Aww, c'mon! A mohawk would look great, I'm sure! I know what you mean, though. My dd is drawn to boy's plaid shirts (really loud ones) and I've been guilty of telling her to find a compromise in the girl's section (hence, the flack jacket). She's just so different here -- and sometimes she'll end up not wearing something because a kid'll tell her she looks like a boy. But I've made a commitment to letting her do her thing 100% from now on. Softball is so much more...
I don't see many around where I live (lots and lots of pink and long, done-up hair). I have a 7 year-old girl who the other day wore long, orange surf shorts with a black souvenir shirt (a map on it), purple socks, boy's sandals and a red/orange Hawaiian bucket hat. Oh, and she topped it off with a girl-cut flack jacket. I love her style! She had me search the web for a new haircut and ended up choosing a spiky mullet (though the gel ended up freaking her out and she...
No. I don't mean that. I live in a country where within the first 48 hours of Nazi occupation 30,000 Jews were rounded up and shot in the head. In 48 hours. Yes, one can speak of obvious collaboration by fellow countrymen, but the Nazis did the shooting. Poles, Germans, Dutch, French, Italians on a smaller scale as the Mussolini regime was opposed to the Final Solution, Romanians, Ukrainians, Russians.etc. The list goes on and on. And then we can talk about the...
Quote: Furhter, I think we should respect the deaths of 12 million men, women and children who perished at the hands of their own countrymen. I shouldn't post just to say this -- because it's off-topic -- but I can't seem to allow myself to let it slide. UUMom, the people killed by the Nazis were definitely not only German; therefore, they did not perish at the hands of their own countrymen. Also, I think you mean psychoanalysis, not psychology.
My dd (just turned 7) is like that. It's something very therapeutic for her. She always asks for a sheet of paper and some pens if she's stressed out. She also does very detailed work. And she also won't come to meals! Personally, I will not start lessons for her. Her drawing is very personal and I don't want some teacher telling her what to do and what not to do; I'm certain it would ruin the experience for her. She learns on her own how to draw difficult...
Thanks for the encouragement and the book suggestions. I guess I'll have to take this question to my therapist when I start.
Quote: If you unschool with her she will learn what she WANTS to learn at the level SHE wants to learn it. I mean, I never think about how one of my kids are going to learn some certain thing I want them to learn or be proficient at. I know that and I get all that just fine. And we did this already until she was 5. It's just that my husband has these fears. And, yah, I think it's a special circumstance when you're living in a country where you...
I wanted to add that when people don't listen to me I really beat myself up about it, ie. I'm boring; I'm not worth listening to; I talk too much. Quote: s she really being a good mom for you if she's going on about her life only. I would cut down on talking to her and see if she does open up to hearing what you have to say. No, she's not a good mother -- never has been (alcoholic, neglectful, etc.). She doesn't listen to anyone, though. It's...
I'm hanging out here today 'cause I'm trying to avoid a visitor. Quote: Is this what your husband thinks? If she doesn't see children every single day, she will be isolated and "unsocialized?" Quote: Does he mean that he's afraid English will be her language of choice and not French? He fears she will be isolated, yes. I think he understands the concept of socialization, as I've explained it. And as far as being with me too...
Thanks for your input KaraBoo. My husband fears for the French. Dd is bilingual from birth so it's not about learning the language. For my husband, who is French -- so has his Frenchy ideas about education -- it's about learning all the ins-and-outs of the language, the grammar, the spelling, the idioms, etc. Personally, I know how 80% of the French spell (about as well as Americans), so I don't have this fear. I know she will be able to operate in France even with...